Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

Reluctant 4 year old.

Hi guys, new member so I apologise if this is in the wrong section!

I have a bit of a problem with my 4 year old daughter. She has been potty trained with minimal difficulties and doing so well, mostly keeping dry. At home she has no problems at all with letting me know she needs the loo and going.

However, when we are out and about she is completely different. She'll show a need to go to the toilet and sometimes will be unable to keep still, if I ask her if she needs to go she refuses, but if I take her anyway she will go without hesitation.

I'm just worried she is holding it in instead of going when she needs to. Last week I took her out and it was clear she needed to pee on the drive home, I asked her if she needed to go and she said she was okay. As soon as we got out of the car she completely lost it on my driveway image 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Sophief 

Replies

• You guys are useless....

I'm going elsewhere

• Hi Sophie,

Sorry only just seen your post but it sounds like a 'confidence' issue, your little girl is trying to judge/prove just how long she can manage before needing a wee.

It isn't uncommon whilst out & about for children to get lost in the excitement/distraction of what they are doing & have 'accidents'.  Just keep gently reminding her 'Does she need the toilet?' & if you know it will be some time before a toilet becomes available again asking her to 'Just try for Mummy/Daddy' before you go.  Reminding her that you have the time for her to use the toilet & that she will not be missing out on anything whilst she does can also help.

Best wishes & good luck.