Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was due in Nov 2013

Fetal Echo, anyone had one or know what it involves?

have been told that i will be getting a fetal echo to check my babys heart at 20weeks due to my epilepsy medication, has anybody ever had one or know what it involves??

xx dolly

Replies

• No idea im sorry. Must just be a precaution due to your medication. If they thought there was any risk to baby though they would have swapped it before. Xx

• yeah i think some of the epilepsy drugs are pretty brutal during pregnancy and the one i am on is apparently the best one to be on during pregnancy, i think its just a precautionary thing but not really sure what goes on!

my local hospital is NDDH in barnstaple and they said that the fetal echo would be in bristol, i don't know whether that means the tests etc will be done in NDDH and sent off to bristol for results or i will need to go to bristol for the tests....i just don't know, i guess i'll have to ask at my next mw appt....

xx

• sorry hun I'm no use as never heard of it before. Hope u find out more when u next see ur midwife xx

• 2 weeks until my mw appt, so i'll just wait it out i guess :/ should have asked at the time but i just didnt think to...pretty annoyed at myself actually, seems like an obvious question to ask but i just didnt! silly me!! think it involves a very indepth ultrosound scan which looks specifically at the babies heart in detail. still not sure whether i will need to go up to bristol or not though!! confused much!? xx