Forum home Product Tests Expert Q&As

Live fertility webchat on Monday 1 July at 12pm

Fertility expert Dr Alex Vass will be holding a live web chat here on Monday 1 July between 12 and 1pm. Please pop the date in your diary and in the meantime, why not post the questions you'd like him to answer below.

For more information on this webchat click here.

We look forward to seeing your questions!

Replies

• hi ya i was wondering when are u ovulation day my period was 4th may 2013 just when is the best and how do u know u are ovlation with my son i had emegry c section but normal pregancy just wondering is harder to get pregant when having a c section

• Hi Dr Vass ! I was wondering if you could tell me if my very short cycle (21 days from start of one period to start of next) & relatively late ovulation (about 10-11 days, checked with Clearblue Ovulation kits) will make it difficult or even impossible to become pregnant ? I'm 42 aswell so I believe that will also make conception more difficult.

Many Thanks xx

• Hi I ovulated late around day 22 but got my bfp on 8dpo as woke on 7dpo feeling pregnant. My question is do you think I should take my due date from the first day of my cycle or would it be more accurate to go from the day I ovulated as I obviously conceived and implanted quite quick and I'm 100% sure thats when we conceived. I know ill get an accurate date at my first scan but just want something to go on till then! Thanks! X

• Hi everyone

I'm Dr Alex the Clearblue Doctor and I am happy to be here to answer any questions about fertility, getting and being pregnant

Best wishes

Dr Alex

• Hi Moonmambunnypie,

Most women with a 28 days cycle ovulate 12-16 days before their next period. So you can count back to see when your fertile time is. But this is not the most accurate way of indentifying your fertile time and so if you want to maximise your chance of getting pregnant I always suppest an ovulate test kit. These identify when you are about to ovultate and so can help you make love at the right time each month.

In answer to your second question - no - having a C section should not make it harder for you to get pregnant a second time

Best wishes

Dr Alex

• Hi Dr Alex

My cycles are really irregular - sometimes they're 22 days, other months they're 30+ days. I didn't have trouble conceiving first time round (with twins) but second time not having much luck. How can I tell when I'm ovulating? Thanks

• Hi Top Cat

A short cycle is not a problem no. Fertiilty does decline after age 35 but many women do of course get pregnant so I imagine it is now just a matter of time

Best wishes

Dr Alex

• Hi LH86

To calcualte your due date we always go by the first day of your last period - that does build in the time to the day that you actually ovulated and conceived

Best wishes

Dr Alex

• Hi Dr Alex 

We have been trying to concive for over a year now, im 23 and most people my age concive witin 6 monthes. its getting me really down and im really worried theres somthing wrong . when do you thinks the best time to go see my gp as it been over a year now or do i wait a bit longer. do you think i should use Ovulation kits? 

thanks kelly

• Hi twinmum2,

Yes it is tricky when you have an irregular cylce. I wonder if you have seen your GP about why your cycle is like that. An ovulation test kit is probably your best bet as other methods such as the calander method will not work for you.

Best wishes

Dr Alex

• Hi Kelly

Yes for certain if you have been trying for more than a year - and making love regularly or making sure that you are making love during your fertile time each month - then you should see your GP as you and your partner need some basic fertility tests to make sure everything is ok.

Make an appointment to see your GP

Best wishes

Dr Alex

• Hi Alex,

I'm about to turn 35 and I keep hearing that fertility declines after this age. If so, how long will it take me to concieve? If I want more than one child, will I find that difficult?

Thank you!

Ellie

• Hi there, I have always had erratic periods (though there has never been an underlying cause identified). Now my partner and I would like to start trying for a baby. How would I find out when my most fertile time is? Or do I even have one?

Thanks

• Hi Dr Alex

Many thanks for your help. Will look into buying an ovulation kit

• Hi Dr Alex , I have experienced 2 mmc's in the last 8 months, suspected both pregnancies failed at approx 5 weeks, I lost a lot of blood with the 2nd - in March , will this make it more difficult for us to conceive this time , I am 42 , my husband is 29 ,also do you think taking low dose aspirin might improve our chances ?

Thank you evemum

• Hi Ellie

You do have time so don't worry - many women conceive after the age of 35. By the age of 40 however only two in five of those who wish to have a baby will be able  to do so naturally.

So the next few years are important. Maximise your health by eating a good diet, cut back on alcohol (stop smoking if you do!) and make sure that you are timing when you make  love to your fertile time. As I've mentioned in other questions today the most accurate way is with an ovulation test kit.

You don't say how long you have been trying but remember that it is entirely natural to take up toa year - putting a figure your your chances is not really possible as there are lots of factors if your current and past medical history that affect fertility.

Best wishes

Dr Alex

• Hi Alex,

I am on the pill and am will shortly be stopped in order to conceive. Do you become fertile immediately from stopping after your period or does it take some time for everything to get going again?

Many thanks!

• Hi Alex

Are there any supplements I should be taking to help me conceive as I am now 38 and would like to try for a baby?

• Hi Charliebrown,

You share the same problem as twinmum2 - an irregular cycle. Firstly I'm surprised that your GP cannot find the cause - double check that everything has been done. This is importand as certain medical conditions such as PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome  - can cause irregular periods and these can affect your fertility.

However I am sure you can still get pregnant but finding when you ovulate is key. Just as I recommended for twinmum2 you may want to try an ovuation test kit as they can help to identify your fertile days each month. Another option would be a fertility monitor as this stores information aboout your cycle and can then also help to identify when you are likely to ovulate.

Best wishes

Dr Alex

• Hi evemum,

I am sorry to hear about your mmcs. That is tough. I imagine and hope that you have been discussing these with your GP as there are certain medical conditions that can cause recurrent miscarriage. Usually investigations to try and find the cause are done after someone has experienced three in a row but given your age your GP may be willing to refer you to a fertility expert or do some investigations him or herself. I would not advise Aspirin without you discussing this with your GP or a fertility expert at your local hospital.

Regarding your blood loss - have you had a blood test since to make sure your blood levels are back to normal? If not then I'd advise your see your GP to have a check

Best wishes

Dr Alex

This discussion has been closed.

Featured Discussions