Forum home Babies Weaning

Belly ache

My baby is 20 weeks and i have started to introduce organic puree twice per day but he seems to suffer quite badly with belly ache about an hour after eating.  Does anyone have any advice on how best to avoid belly ache.  Is this happening because his digestive system isn't ready for anything other than milk yet???

Replies

• Is it sweet or savoury you have introduced?

• It could be. My friends LO had the same problem. Maybe wait a little longer and see how he is then, giving him quite bland foods to start. If you are worried talk to a health visitor/GP. they may perscribe infant gaviscon if he is still suffering with the stomach trouble. Hope this helps. image

• Try giving your little on gripe water after food, it could be trapped wind.

I often make boiled fennel water (one mug of water to one tablespoon of fennel seeds) to give to my little one, this can be mixed into bottle milk feed, this really helps. She will only need to drink a little bit (1-2 tablespoons) at a time after meal times. The extra can be stored in the fridge for a day.

Also, try massaging your little one tummy in a circular motion clock around her belly button to relieve and calm her, this will also encourage bowel movements.

If that doesn't work, he may not be ready to being weaned. Is he showing any signs of wanting to be fed?