Forum home Babies Weaning

new ideas from mums

My son will be 9 months next week so I would love to hear any new ideas on what we could try next. Does anyone have any good recipes? Or know of any shop brought food for when I havent got time to cook? What new finger foods have other mums introduced at 9 months? 

Replies

• cheese and apple on toast/ cheese and beetroot on toast  served as fingers!

Or little mini pastries you can fill with anything, sweet and savoury! make some (or use readymade) shortcrust pastry, omiting salt, and fill with combos like sweet potato and feta, potato, cheddar and carrot,apple and pear, etc. fork mash the fillings then as he gets older just leave lumpy! my 3 yr old still eats these! they are great for taking out and about too! cut out little squares or circles of pastry, spoon a little filling onto one half then fold into triangles/ semi circles, press down, crimp sides so filling doesnt escape, brush with a little milk put on a backing tray lined with greaseproof paper and cook on a medium heat until pastry is crisp and golden.

Also savoury muffins, like spinach and cheese and little fritatas are good. If you have a bun tray you can make mini fritatas by mixing eggs, cheese and finely chopped veg such as courgettes, grated carrot then pour the mixed batter into each (greased) hole and cook until egg has completely risen. each fritata should be golden and when a knife is pressed into the centre it should come out clean with no sticky mixture. image

• Courgette and feta nibbles

1 slice of bread, cut into small cubes

140g courgette grated (approx 1 medium sized courgette)

70g feta cheese, crumbled finely       2 eggs (whisked)
    black pepper to season (optional)     half lemon (optional)  

chives (optional)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/38679.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

preheat  the oven to 200 degrees.     Oil a silicone mini muffin/small cupcake tin with olive oil.    whisk the eggs in a bowl, add pepper, then add courgette and mix. squeeze lemon and chives into mixture, add crumbled feta cheese and cubed bread and mix well.   Fill each hole with mixture.

Bake for 16 minutes or until firm and well browned.  

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/38681.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

These can be served for lunch, dinner or as finger food. 

If your little one does not like textures, the courgettes can be blended and the bread can be made into bread crumbs .

• oo great idea image

• Thanks for the great ideas! I will post some photos this weekend x

My first attempt, half with crushed new potatoes, green beans and sage and half sweet potatoe and red peppers!

• Those pastries look and sound great! I hope they went down well! image

• Try this recipe for courgette polpette, they are a great finger food and very tasty and quick to make! They are still a firm favourite with my eldest and she is now 3 yrs old, and I'm partial to one (or several!) too!!

You will need:

2 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil

500g courgettes, finely diced

grated zest of half a lemon

1 egg, lightly beaten

2 heaped teaspoons of a well flavoured hard cheese (from parmasan to mature cheddar!)

1/2 ball of mozzarella (60-70g), diced

50g breadcrumbs

1 garlic clove, finely chopped

1 tbsp chopped parsley (if you like)

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees/gas mark 6 and lightly oil a baking tray.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the courgettes for about 10mins, until tender and golden. Set aside to coll a little, then combine them with all the other ingredients to make a thick, sticky mixture.

Take walnut sized blobs of the mixture and roll in to balls.

Place on the baking tray and bake for about 15mins until golden.

Leave to cool a little and serve! image

• Ill be giving that a go thanks. We have more courgettes growing than we can eat!! 

• Blueberry cottage cheese

Good for breakfast or snack.

Mix a heaped tablespoon of cottage cheese with a handful of mashed/pureed (used fork or blender) blueberries 

• That sounds like a good idea for marley, he loves blueberries image

• My little one really enjoyed half a jacket potato with butter, cheese and baby spaghetti shapes.

• A quick and easy little finger food to make is sweet potato, sweet corn and cheese balls/patties.

Just boil some sweet potato (2 small ones), drain and mash.

Add a little cheddar cheese (a match box size) and some sweetcorn (a few tbsp -omit this, and add a little chopped spinach instead if your LO is too young or you are afraid of choking).

Roll into little balls (you can then flatten them into patties too if you wish) put them on an a lightly oiled baking try and cook in the centre of the oven on a medium heat for about 15 mins.

Cool then serve.

You can also try adding a little cooked quinoa or couscous to the mixture ( a few heaped tbsp) to make a more interesting texture. image

• All these finger food sound great!

We are mostly still feeding Flo with a spoon, though she does get bits and pieces of finger food.

I am trying to introduce more textures and to encourage her chewing, so I will be trying some of these really yummy sounding recipes! What I have been up to is adding larger chunks of veg to her main dishes, and good sized chunks of fruit in her pudds, which is all going really well.

A firm favourite is a chunky fruit salad (any mixture of nectarine, banana, apple, pineapple, etc), mixed with some greek yogurt. Quite often make a large portion so I can eat the leftoversimage

• Marley also loves fruit salad image his favourites are strawberries, mango, grapes and blueberries (and like you said krh, leftovers are a bonus!)

• I am also getting braver in adding quite strong flavours - garlic is no problem, but have also been putting in garam masala, curry powder and mixed spice in different dishes, and so far it all seems to be going down fine, but to be fair I am not sure how much Flo tastes, as the food disappears so quickly!

My next challenge is adding managable chunks of meat like chicken - trying to find the right size so she actually takes time to chew it will be the challenge, as she tends to just try and swallow her food without chewing, which obviously can result in choking! So if you have any suggestions to avoid this, that'd be great!

• With Marley I gave him pieces of meat such as chicken to hold and get used to before I started adding it to his food, it seems to have helped as we have had no choking yet

• My son loved whole fusilli pasta in tomato, garlic and hint of chilli. He enjoyed putting the pasta in his mouth. 

• Hi krh, I make little koftas, or meatballs for my LO. rolling them into little sausage shapes is great for them to grip too. By using minced meats, it is easier for your little one to chew and avoids choking on bigger pieces as it breaks down easily. image