Forum home Babies Weaning

wont-wean

My little one Rowan won't wean at all. I have tried giving her lots of diffrent things but she wont eat it? She is the right age , if not older than normal to begin weaning!

Help , she isn't ill because she drinks milk fine and is acting fine. What could it be?

Replies

• What have you tried to give her to eat? Have you tried baby milk mixing it with her usual milk? maybe try giving her food 2 hours after you have given her milk and then she might be hungry and may take some food. if she doesn't take food after that, miss fee milk feed and then at the next milk feed give her food and then milk afterwards.  At first it may only be 1 or 2 spoonfuls, but with a routine and in time will increase. I gave sweet potato to my little as his first food and he really liked it. I would definitely try something sweet (pear, apple, sweet potato purée). Also, play around with the consistency of the food you give her, make it into a thin purée and she if she will takes this and then add baby rice to thicken up once she has got used to it.

Good luck 

•  

You need to be patient. Just let Rowan play with food, give her soft foods to play with and hold such as buttered toast fingers, boiled carrots sticks. If you want to spoon feed try a spoon each day of baby rice or porridge mixed with fruit puree. You use your usual milk to make up rice and porridge that way they'll be some familiarity.  Make the experience fun, with lots of laughter, encouragement and praise. Don't worry too much about the nutrient/calorie intake at this point as your LO will get all she needs from the milk feeds.

Once Rowan gets the idea I'm sure they'll be no stopping him.

Do let us know how you get on.

•  

You need to be patient. Just let Rowan play with food, give her soft foods to play with and hold such as buttered toast fingers, boiled carrots sticks. If you want to spoon feed try a spoon each day of baby rice or porridge mixed with fruit puree. You use your usual milk to make up rice and porridge that way they'll be some familiarity.  Make the experience fun, with lots of laughter, encouragement and praise. Don't worry too much about the nutrient/calorie intake at this point as your LO will get all she needs from the milk feeds.

Once Rowan gets the idea I'm sure they'll be no stopping her.

Do let us know how you get on.

• I agree with the others, you need to be patient and dont worry, she will get there when she is ready. I started weaning my little boy on baby rice mixed with breast milk so it was sweet and he was used to the taste. It only needs to be a couple of moutfulls at first, she will be getting everything she needs from her milk so dont worry if she one has one or two mouthfulls as its all progress. Try letting her hold a spoon while you feed her or soft finger foods as nicola suggested. Give her lots of smiles and have fun! Goodluck!

• Thanks everyone , I have actually managed to start weaning her now.

Thanks , the advice worked! image

• Thats great news! Here is where the real fun starts trying lots of new things and discovering her likes and dislikes. Enjoy image 

• Good Luck! Hope Rowan is enjoying her food! image