Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Baby's heart beat = boy or girl??????

Hi ladies,

I have heard recently that a faster baby's heart beat indicates its a girl and slower for a boy. My baby's is usually around 140 - 145 but as i have nothing to compare this to i don't know whether that is fast or slow.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard this about girls having faster heart beats and if you know what your lol's heart beat usually is so we can compare.

Probably just another old wives tale but i'm still curious to know.

Rebecca - 32 + 2

Replies

• Hi hun, well mine was usually 140-143 a min, n im expecting a girl? lol!!
    Steph 24+1 xx
  • I have heard this before too. My mw usually just writes "sonicaid" to confirm she has listened to heartbeat but last week for the first time she wrote down the heart rate. When I looked it up on the internet it said over 140 for a girl under 140 for a boy. Since mine was dead on 140 I don't think it helps! (which I'm pleased about really as I don't really want to spoil the suprise)

40+2 and waiting
  • my baby heart beat is around the 155-160 BPM but alas i have no idea what i'm having although Everyone in mine and my BF family thinks i'm having a girl
    http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/17/1767/176730.png

• Well mine is usually around 138 - 145 bpm...and my mw has said sounds like a boy to me....but we want a surprise so I guess we shall wait and see : )
    My friend who had a boy said her baby's heartbeat was always around 140bpm....so who knows lol!!
    Han xx
    30 weeks
  • My babies heart beat has been between 136bpm and 145bpm and im expecting a girl, my son was always over 140bpm so i dont think its true sorry x
  • My midwife always says that it sounds like a boy and I think it's around 130bpm, but I am definately having a girl!!xxx
  • My midwife said that is baby is moving around alot then heart beat will be fast and if baby is a sleep then heart beat will be slower so don't believe any of it 

• My midwife said that if baby is active the heart beat is 140 but is sleeping then lower so its not worth listening to it 

• well my babies heartbeat is about 145 and its a girl my sons was about the same so dont know xx

• I have accurately predicted 100% of family & friend's babys gender based upon this method.  A girls heartrate is generally faster & likened to a galloping horse typically ranging 140 + at most appointments from 25wks into term.  A boys heartrate will tend to be slower & likened to a chugging train typically ranging 125-140 at most appointments from 25wks.

• mine was 160 n mines a girl

• I have had 2 boys previously and their heart beats were always about 145 bpm.

• Unfortunately it is bit of an old wives tale. A study was done 20 years ago and proved there was no link between the heart rate and the babys sex. Pity really as it would be nice to know the sex early on.

• mine is 160bpm . i dont know if girl or boy?

• I wanna have a boy since I have two girls but the heart rate is 143 and i strongly believe I am having another girl. Hoping for a boy this time round.

25wks 6days

• Mine goes as low as 140 at times and is a girl so no truth in it I'm afraid! Depends on a lot of other factors. Think heart rate changes all the time x

• My me says baby's heart rate is bang on 150. Don't know what am having but hoping for a baby girl.

• my baby heart rate today was 177 and im ten weeks im hoping for a boy to I have one girl she is 10 and a 7 year old boy

• Hi

Apparently this only works when you are 36 weeks plus and then you need at least three consistently high or low readings.

My midwife reckons it's around 80% accurate. image
  • It definitely gets more accurate closer to due date so I've tended to wait for final trimester BUT your own heart rate will affect baby's (if your blood pressure is higher baby's heart rate will be faster, if blood pressure is lower then baby's heart rate will be slower) so there can be exceptions to the rule between 135-145bpm.