Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby is due in June 2014

High NT measurement :(

Hi ladies, So I had my scan last Friday and it was amazing to see a very wriggly baby. Problem is my NT measurement was high at 3.3mm. I've just turned 33 and didn't expect this at all. I asked the sonographer if all was ok as she was struggling to get the right measurement and baby wouldn't stop moving and she said NT was within the cutoff of

Replies

• Argghh. BE has just eaten the other half of my post image oh well. You get the jist of my problem.

Just nervous I'm going to get bad news. Still waiting for proper result as had blood test too.

Just wish I knew hate waiting! xx
  • Will you have amniocentesis if they offer it? I can't really offer advice both mine have been really low risk, but we're all here to support you chick xx

• I think if they recommend it then I would. I just want to know. I've done a bit of research on CVS and amino and think I would. I have 2 little boys already to think about.

Hubby thinks I'm worrying too much and I should assume all is well unless I hear otherwise but 3.3 is a high result.

Time will tell I guess xx
  • Hiya, had my scan today and also have a high NT measurement (3.7) waiting on blood results in a week now... Don't think ill bother getting any invasive tests done as I don't want to put baby in any risk, that's just me though.. Fingers crossed it was just a poor measurement though. Baby was very stubborn and found it hard to get a proper measurement :/ xxx
  • Thanks for your replies. Nice to have someone to talk to about it.

StubbornBrit - it is a worry isn't it?! Waiting is horrible! I suppose it depends on the odds I get given as to whether we'll go for invasive tests. Fingers crossed we're both fine. I'll keep you posted xx
  • I refused the NT scan at my 12 week appointment because a huge worrier anyway! We are all here to support you, keep us posted image xxx
  • I think if they recommend it then I would. I just want to know. I've done a bit of research on CVS and amino and think I would. I have 2 little boys already to think about.

Hubby thinks I'm worrying too much and I should assume all is well unless I hear otherwise but 3.3 is a high result.

Time will tell I guess xx
  • Hi

Oh hon. What a worrying time. In some ways I wish they would just wait for the combined result. The nt in isolation is no help whatsoever is it. It is just a worry.

Hopefully your risk will be low overall. Even if it is classes as high risk I think that tends be 1:250 which is not in any way certain.

I refused the combined test in my first pregnancy but like you cupcake I want it this time as any outcome effects my sons life too. I haven't had my scan but I am with you. If my risk was more certain day 1:100 or higher I might have the amnio. The risk if miscarriage is thought to be far far less these days and of course miscarriage is still an issue until around 12 weeks with amnio so te stats would always be blurred.

For me I would want to know what I am dealing with. Preparation for havin a baby with any issues would very much help I think and potentially you would get the all clear too.

For how chick, as hard as it is, try hot to worry until you get that combined result. Take it a step at a time. image
  • Cupcake I have just read that the top of the normal range is 3.5mm. So although on the cusp you are technically within normal limits.

It seems measurements can be as high as 6mm.

Hang in there x
  • Had "the call" from the hospital this afternoon. Bad news, 1:15 chance of DS and other things. Heartbroken. Have CVS booked for Monday afternoon xx
  • Oh darling I'm so sorry to hear that.

Massive hugs to you.

I know it won't help how you feel much at the moment but we are all here and there is still that 14 out of 15 chance in your favour.

Have the hospital said what would e the next steps?

We will all be thinking of you on Monday.
  • Hi kate , when we had our dd 3n half years ago the result was 1;23, we had cvs n amnio , wouldn't have either this time - dd is one of the brightest little sparks ever , we went through endless worry n she was absolutely fine , I know each case is different but hope your situation will play out like ours did , try not to worry too much , sending you lots of love n hugs , take care hun x x

• Hi Cupcake, 

Received a phone call today from midwife- we got a 1:18 chance of DS. Other half wants to go for the CVS- I think deep down I want to know now what's wrong. Idk. Pretty shocked by all of this. Does the 1:18 include other syndromes? Consultant appointment on Monday so if we decide to go ahead they'll do it then... Reassured by a 1% miscarriage risk that she said goes with the CVS.. If you want to talk at all, i'm here...

Sophie x

• Thinking of u both xx

• Hi. Sophie,

Hospital only mentioned DS but I think a high NT can mean other things like a heart defect not just DS.

CVS Monday at 3 30 at Bham Women's hospital. I def want to know what (if anything) is wrong. Just feel like all the joy of pregnancy has been stolen away from us!

I'm here too if you need to chat xxx
  • Hey,

I completely understand- had a long cry about it all. 12 week scans are supposed to be the end of worrying and the beginning of enjoying the rest of the pregnancy but now i cant help but worry even more and fret about what may or may not be... No idea how long it will take for results.. have my appointment at 10:45 in the morning and i'm pretty nervous. One step closer to finding out one way or the other, I guess..

All the best for you tomorrow xxx

• Thank you. Good luck for tomorrow Sophie. Will let you know how I get on xx
  • Good luck to you both tomorrow x
  • Good luck to you both xx

• Good luck ladies xxx