Forum home Article comments

Talkback: 'Too posh to push' mums not to blame for high caesarean rates, says Kirstie Allsopp

Replies

• I have had 4 c-sections and not one of them was a choice I wanted. I spent years feeling like a failure because I couldn't give birth naturally. Comments like "too posh to push" are so detremental to the way mums feel. I fought for a natural birth with my 3rd child but because I didn't go into labour by 42 weeks I was told I would have to have another c-section. This broke my heart - I had failed again.
  • My son was born at 31 wks by c-section. I didn't want it as those who had natural births are usually up and about very quickly; it was 6 months before I was comfortable to move about properly.

I had pre-eclampsia and was in hospital for 2 wks before (and after) but my BP was so high the doctor said it was best to get baby out.

I am glad there is someone who is speaking out.
  • I think the term "elective" is misleading. My son was born in Nov 2009 by emergency c section. I am due to give birth a second time in August 2013 and I am having another c section. This is for two reasons - firstly I suffered birth trauma as a result of my first birth, and secondly I suffered significant damage to my bowel in the first birth which resulted in four subsequent operations and is still not completely resolved. I am classed as having an "elective" c section for my second birth, although I don't feel as though I have a choice at all. It is very upsetting when women in my position face negative reactions from society (usually strangers) who are very judgmental on this issue. Well done Kirsty for speaking up. Surely a birth should be judged on a successful outcome (a healthy baby and a healthy mother) not about who "pushes" hardest?
  • I had two emergency c-sections and although, mentally don't feel a failure, I cry for an unknown reason when I see people give birth on tv. I put it down to the fact that I missed out on giving birth and was unconscious for both.
  • I had an elective due to breech but not through choice. I sobbed at the hosp for a hour when they said it would b too dangerous to turn her. Hardest thing I've ever done, been riddled with infection for 2 weeks and still in agony half the time

• I had an 'elective'. I found it a very hard and stressful decision to make. My baby was breech and I didn't want to have her turned. Male obstetricians made a good job of making me feel guilty about this decision, but it is the mother's right to make her own best decision for the health of her child and herself. No regrets. It was the right choice at that time. However, a Caesarean is major surgery and I think every mother should consider her decision carefully before undertaking it.