Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

weight gain

i know this question could make me unpopular but is there such a thing as too little weight gain?? dont get me wrong i wasnt and im deffinatly am not now a stick lol

i was a good size 12 when i started and my bmi was spot on when i fell pregnant.

i decided to weigh myself yesterday and checked my mat notes and the difference is only 5lb and from what i read they say i should of put on a fair amount more.ive never thought about it before and baby measured right at last mw app. ive got another mw ap next week but she is only 12 and doesnt seem to know very much so i thought you ladies might have the answer as google will just panick me.

Replies

• Puddy, I am currently 18 weeks and I thought similar. I have only put on about 6/7lbs in that time. I read that in the first trimester  alone you are "supposed" to put on 5-10lbs.

I am safe in the knowledge that I generally do eat quite healthy anyway but my concern was that I have eaten all sorts I wouldnt usually eat (Bread, chocolate, take aways) whilst pregnant.

I assume that if you are generally healthy anyway, perhaps you dont put as much weight on? No idea. Just wanted to say I'm the same x

EDIT: I just did a quick google and came out with this below as a guide:

• If your pre-pregnancy weight was in the healthy range for your height (a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9), you should gain between 25 and 35 pounds, gaining 1 to 5 pounds in the first trimester and about 1 pound per week for the rest of your pregnancy for the optimal growth of your baby.
    • If you were underweight for your height at conception (a BMI below 18.5), you should gain 28 to 40 pounds.
    • If you were overweight for your height (a BMI of 25 to 29.9), you should gain 15 to 25 pounds. If you were obese (a BMI of 30 or higher), you should gain between 11 and 20 pounds.
    • If you're having twins, you should gain 37 to 54 pounds if you started at a healthy weight, 31 to 50 pounds if you were overweight, and 25 to 42 pounds if you were obese.
  • glad its not just me i know its a silly worry lol im starting to think i have to much time on my hands i never seemed to worry this much before and this is the 4th time ive done it i just seem to have forgotten evrything!!

• Hey ladies im only 10 weeks i ate healthy before i got pregnant i was on the juice+ diet aswell and lost at least 3/4lbs a week i was 13st 3lbs and now im 14st 2lbs since falling pregnant i mean is that even normal for how many weeks i am lol i hardly eat because not alot of foods agree with me i end up just bringing it all back up :/ xx
  • And forgot to mention this is my second baby hel be 8 in june so its been a while lol xx
  • Hey girls,

I'm just over 14 weeks and lost 5 lbs, the sickness is still around and I am also trying to eat healthy so I am not putting any weight on yet. I know I will put on some more later on the pregnancy so I am enjoying the slim days while I can image It is nice to be under 10st again ha ha

They do say that you don't need more calories in the first and second trimester and increase your intake in the third trimester by roughly 200/300 per day, which is roughly equal to a couple of toasts or a banana with yoghurt.

xxx