Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Father/Daughter bonding

Hi 

Don't know if this is the right forum to be posting this so please excuse me if I'm in the wrong place.

I'm a first time Dad and have concerns about my Daughter recognizing me as Dad.  She is 6 months old and I have been with her pretty much everyday since she was born. When I get in from work, she seems to get upset when she sees me, like I am a stranger. Each time it breaks my heart a little.

I understand babies get stranger anxiety around this time, but I am concerned that she seems to get it with me. This has surprised me considering she sees, smells and hears me everyday. I bath and/or feed her most nights. I also read her a book after her bath.

I appreciate Mum is her world and will naturally be her distant No.1.  But I just seem to be just another person that is not Mum.

Would appreciate some advice?

Thanks

Chris

Replies

• Hey I think just give it time, she's still very young. You sound like ur doing all the right things so try not to let it get you down. My first was a real mummy's baby as dad works long hours all over the country, but now she's a complete daddy's girl. Our baby was so tiny when she was born that he was too scared to do anything with her and as I was in hospital on my own with her, she's also a real mummys baby and will scream till he hands her over to me sometimes but I have no doubt the phase will pass as it did with my first. Hang on in there and keep doing what your doing image

• Don't stress, you are doing great. My husband went through a similar stage with our daughter, she wouldn't choose him for anything, she seemed to behave like she didn't know him etc but it didn't last forever. Keep doing what you are doing, the regular things - my husband always did bedtime story and put her down after he came in from work. 

I am a stay at home mum and now our daughter is 2 she spends all day telling me about how wonderful daddy is and is so excited when he opens the door in the evening!