Forum home Family life & relationships Family finances
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Was self employed till last week....

Good Morning, i dont know if this is in the right place or not, but here goes...

I have owned my own beauty salon for the last 3 years, i have paid all my national 2 contributions etc etc and i am pretty sure i qualify for the statutory maternity allowance. The shop has always done well, but having found out im pregnant in January, id pretty much made my mind up that the days of 12hour shifts in the shop and working 7 days a week would need to end. So i have recently sold my shop to a lovely lady who can give it the time and dedication it needs to be a success. 

This is my first child, me and my partner are in our mid 20's and have just moved in together. We have both always worked 6 day weeks and to be honest the baby news was a huge shock.

The reason i am asking for peoples help is, that since i sold the shop a couple of weeks ago, i obviously am not bringing any money into the household. With a baby on the way and extra costs, i was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on what we are entitled to. My partners salary is just short of £29,000 a year. We have never been people who look to the state for help etc etc but i just feel with me being currently unemployed at the minute to prepare for baby, that any little will help!!

Any advice or help would be soo greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• Hey u will get child benefit and u should definitely qualify for maternity allowance, you should also get a small amount of tax credits, the threshold is about 30k so ur partners wage is just below that x

• Hi congrats on the baby news for a start. U will get child benefit I'm sure but there is another way u can make money I have just started a business and I love it I can work from home and spend all the quality time with my children. 

• Hello stay at home mummy - and welcome to MadeForMums.

Just to let you know that we're going to edit out the last sentence of your post, as we're afraid it's against our forum rules to use forum posts to advertise job opportunities or to ask people to message you about them.