Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How long after a bump on the head...

...do you worry if lo is sick?

Ryan had a nasty fall this morning on our tiled dining room floor. All our floors are either wooden or tiled so they fall fairly often!

Anyway, this was at about 7am. He has been a bit grumpy all day, but he has thrown everything up tonight, at 6.30pm. They normally go to my mums today while im at work, but she is feeling poorly and has been sick once, so they stayed with me.

I keep checking on him and, apart from being a bit warm, which isnt abnormal really, he is fast asleep. Im worried that he might either be coming down with a bug (ARGH! They both had it for nearly 2 weeks last time and nearly ended up in hospital!) or it is a delayed response to the bump on the head.

So, is this too late to be a response to the bump?

Replies

• I think it is 24 hours from memory does he have a bruise or bump or anything on the head?? If it was me and you think that generally he is alright nothing strange or startling I wouldn't worry but I am quite laid back (except when we have a gusher aaaaaaaaaahhh!!! can't be dealing with split heads or anything broken!)

was he sluggish or drousy today?? where did he bump his head
  • I think it is 24 hours from memory does he have a bruise or bump or anything on the head?? If it was me and you think that generally he is alright nothing strange or startling I wouldn't worry but I am quite laid back (except when we have a gusher aaaaaaaaaahhh!!! can't be dealing with split heads or anything broken!)

was he sluggish or drousy today?? where did he bump his head
  • Yep its 24 hours you have to keep an eye on them for - and we were told by a&e when my son cracked his head on the flagstones to check on him and wake him every couple of hours in the night (it was a big wallop on the head though poor boy) - but they also said to watch out for excessive vomiting so I'd have thought one lot of sick wouldn't be tanything to worry about.

Other than grumpy, was he alert and acting normally today? Also - when he fell, did he cry straight away? Apparently crying straight away is a good sign. If so I don't think I'd worry but if you are at all concerned then call NHS direct for some advice

• When my LO bumped his head, I called NHS direct for advice and they said to monitor him really carefully for 24 hours. Basically watching him for anything out of the ordinary but specifically for any fluid coming from his hears and if his fontanelle swelled. She also said that I should wake him slightly a couple of times during the night to make sure that he wasn't unconscious.

Honestly I don't think I'd worry about him being sick tonight but I'd maybe rouse him in an hour or two. HTH xx
  • Thanks ladies.

That was my general line of thinking. He cried straight away (ive also been told that is a good sign) and doesnt really have a bump (but it was the back of his head, which is fairly bumpy anyway!)

Ill keep a close eye on him and rouse him gently in a bit. He'll probably be up at midnight anyway, as per normal, or because hes hungry as he threw up tea and bottle!
  • Hi I'm a teacher & if kids bump their head at school the bumped head note says something about headache, sickness or worse go to gp. Don't mean to worry u but id get it checked out. That wud b my advice to parents at school if their lo bumped head & was sick. U can never b too careful with heads!
  • My ds2 had a bump on the head tonight. I turned my back for 2 seconds! He seems fine now, but I will be checking him through out the night just to be on the safe side.
    xx
  • I too would go on the cautious side, bump followed by sick within 24hours would make me want to get it checked out.
  • Hey Gemmie,

We took DD to hospital after she was sick after a head injury. We had a chat with the Dr about concussion and she explained that they usually like to see an adult who vomits even once after a head injury, but with children they tend to be concerned only if they are sick three times or more. Small children tend to vomit in response to pain so he might just have a bit of a headache.

Keep an eye on him - you know what's normal and what you find concerning, don't hesitate to ring NHS direct or take him to A&E if you are at all worried; but I'm sure he is absolutely fine. We've done A&E several times after a bump to the head (I'm especially paranoid about her head after her SCBU stay!) and she is invariably running around laughing ten minutes after we get there.
  • How is Ryan today Gemmie?
  • Sorry hun...only just seen this!

Thank you for asking about him. He is his usual chatty self. He is refusing to eat lumps, which they tend to do when teething, so think he may have just 'had enough' by the end of the day and chucked up.

I would have taken him to A&E had I have been worried. However, I did check on him every 2 or so hours until I went to bed, thinking he would wake as normal at about 4ish and come in with us, but he didnt. At 5am I had a major panic and had to go in and check on him. He was fine! Shame he choses to sleep through on a night I was worried sick!
  • LOL gemmiebaby, blooming typical that!

I had been following this and am so pleased he's ok, hope the teething passes soon xx
  • this is something that worrys me my lil boy is 16 months and been walking properly for a couple of months but is still finding his balance and he is always bumping his head my partner suggested a baby helmet but i know he wont keep it on as we have lino in living room we decided on foam tiles best thing iv ever purchased. the worst fall my lil boy had was launching his self out of his cot fell head first on hard flooring that really made me sooo upset he had hugh bruise on his head but luckly was fine try not too worry too much hun the brain is protected by fluid like other ladies have said your doing the right thing by checking on bubs gosh its a worry i sometimes wish i could have eyes in the back of my head lol.xxxxx
  • my son fell out of hiis bed (he's got a high bed so he can play underneath) i was absolutely crapping myself so i rung my nan. Shes the expert having 4 kids (3 boys) one of whom, fell off the sofa and fractured his skull once! She just said the same as everyone else really, just keep checking on them and i think its if there is a bump and its squishy then go hospital.
    Glad he's better now and hope his teeth come quickly x