Forum home Babies Baby

Wow at these parents whose newborn became the UK's youngest ever organ donor!

Hello

We're wondering what you think about the news that a newborn baby, who lived for just 100 minutes, has become the UK's youngest ever organ donor. 

Teddy Houlston was born with anencephaly, a rare and lethal abnormality which prevents the brain and skull from developing. And, as his parents, Jess and Mike, knew he would die shortly after birth, they decided to offer his organs to someone else.

Teddy was one of twins (his brother Noah is alive and well) and, when his condition was spotted during the pregnancy, doctors offered Jess and Mike a termination. They refused.

"We thought that even if we had a moment with him, or 10 minutes, or an hour, that time was the most precious thing that we would ever experience," said Jess.

And that's when the idea of organ donation occurred to them. "Organ donation was something I've always felt quite strongly about ever since I was a child," Jess said.

At first, doctors did not think it would be possible to transplant organs from such a young baby but the couple kept on asking and, in the end, Teddy's kidneys were used to save the life of an adult in Leeds. 

"When was taken away, there was so much sadness," said Jess. " But there was also so much joy.”

Jess told ITV's This Morning that she and Mike had exchanged letters with the recipient of Teddy's kidneys and this had "helped the grieving process so much".

Mike said: "It has made it, in a strange way, easier to comprehend what has happened just knowing that Teddy was the bravest person ever. He lived and died a hero. It's impossible to explain how proud we are of him."

What an amazing story!

What do you think of the parents' decision to donate Teddy's organs? Could you/would you do the same, in their position?

Please do let us know by adding a post to this discussion thread.

Replies

• I can not even comprehend what those poor parents must be going through. I can't actually even think about the horror of this situation, so can't answer the question if i could do this. My heart goes out to them.

• Amazing Family. God Bless you all especially Baby Noah who will sure fell the loss in his heart despite never knowing him.