Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Angelcare Movement Monitor - worth getting?

After joking lots with my H that I'll be up all night checking that baby is still breathing, I wondered whether to get a movement monitor? They seem to be around £66 and I just wanted some honest opinions on them please.

Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• We wouldn't have slept without ours so it was totally worth it for the 7 months we used it. After we moved S into her big girls cot it kept going off as the sensor was losing her because she moved around too much so it's just on sound now. IMHO I would have spent hundreds on it for peace of mind.

• I've never had one. Her Moses basket was right next to me when in bed so I could hear her anyway. She was never asleep by herself before six months old.

Personally, if there's no medical issues, I don't see the need for them.

• Yes. Very reassuring. Ours is now being used for number 2.

• I looked at these but also wanted a video monitor for when she is in her own room. They do a 3 in 1 version but it nearly £200. Tommee Tippeee do a 3 in 1 too that is cheaper and had great reviews. Can't comment further as it isn't in use yet but looks the business!

• We have got one for no3 :-)

• Little Pixie

I looked at these but also wanted a video monitor for when she is in her own room. They do a 3 in 1 version but it nearly £200. Tommee Tippeee do a 3 in 1 too that is cheaper and had great reviews. Can't comment further as it isn't in use yet but looks the business!

We just got a Motorola video one for our son (2) as we are now using the Angelcare with the new baby and with doors shut at night we can't hear if he calls out. It was from Aldi and has 2 camera units. Think it was 40? Eventually we will put one in his room and one in with the baby. Much better than having a 3 in one in the long term! 

• WMarmiteS, I'm sure they provide reassurance and are a good monitor but we never felt the need for one. We used a very basic Tomy monitor once they were in their own rooms and having given it away, I'll replace it with similar this time.

• Worth every penny. When he had just come home and in the moses I was ALWAYS waking to watch he was breathing. I still do now if we're somewhere without the monitor. With it on I know he's soundly safely asleep. The peace of mind is priceless

• What margot and marmite said. My babies have always slept in their crib or cot centimetres from my bed, or co slept,  so I've never felt the need for one

• Baby still sleeps next to my bed, or in with me, but I love the angelcare. He did stop breathing after birth and was pretty ill which is why we bought it but I'm glad we did.

• I think the point is, when you are alseep you cant hear if your baby has stopped breathing. Regardless of if you are co sleeping or cot beside you. Thats what this monitor is for.

• Exactly what CK said. I'd rather the alarm go than wake up in the morning and be too late. To me it's one more thing I can do to keep him safe(r)

• Tbh I havent had the need for a monitor with my big 2 and have lost the one we had. I only got this one because I seen a good deal when we were browsing and I though why not as it will give me the added reassurance.

My reply was more to point out that i've never been able to hear my babies breathe when I'm asleep so the reason it's not needed if baby in room etc isn't really valid. Yes it reduces the risk but it doesn't eliminate it. It's not a replacement to enable babies to go in
  • We didn't have one for Isla and won't be getting one this time either. I think they just make you more paranoid. My friends had one for their little one and it went off so many times unnecessarily they had to switch it off to stop them from going mad  

• To go in their own room that was supposed to say! Mobile md strikes again.

• Thanks for the replies everyone :-) think I'll be ordering one!

• I never had one either, we co slept mostly. I used to stir before he even did when he woke for feeds

• Worth every penny. My new one has just arrived for R.

• mine has never went off by accident and it's not made me more paranoid at all, totally the opposite in fact. I thought it might have but it calmed me down a lot but then having saw my son go grey and stop breathing was enough to want anything I felt might make me feel more at ease.