Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Aromatherapy in labour

A couple of questions. I have been interested in aromatherapy for years so thought i would do a couple of blends for hospital. Was going to do a relaxing/fear alleviating one as a massage oil and an invigorating face spray for 2nd stage.

Can anyone recomnend 2 simple blends? The "recipes" i have use 3 or 4 oils each and at £5-£8 a pop its not cheap so trying to find recipes with less oils!

My second question is, has anyone used aromatherapy for labour and birth and do you think it helped?

TIA

x

Replies

• I've got clary sage and lavender to soak into cotton wool balls and for massage (mixed with almond oil)

• I bought some massage oil for about £5.  It had clary sage, lavender and a few other bit in.  Can find the website if you're interested.

• Definitely Clary Sage and Lavender to help labour - I used almond oil as a base but apricot and sunflower are also good.

For a revitalising spritz I would use something more citrusy - but be careful using oils on your face as they might irritate your eyes.

• I would speak to your midwife first as some oils aren't suitable, also you may find your health authority provide it for you.

Where I live I was given an aromathy oil blend to use for massage and in the bath 39+8 ish IIRC and then when i was at the birthing unit the MW made up a blend for H to massage into my back it was lovely.

As and added bonus they also sent me home with a lavender and something blend to put in the bath to help relax and heal my stitches

• Another vote for clary sage and lavender on the recommendation of my yoga teacher

• Is clary sage and lavendar for use at any point in pregnancy, e.g. for massage / relaxing? Thought I'd seen something on here about it being good for bringing on baby? But might be getting confused! I will have to check with my MW if any are provided during labour, as the more things available to try, the better!

• Thanks everyone! Stupid question Hep but what do you do with the oil soaked cotton wool?

X

• Lamby, you can't use Clary Sage before 38 ish weeks as it does have some evidence that it can stimulate contractions of the uterus so definitely don't use before 38 weeks x

• I put the oil soaked cotton wool in a little dish by my bed so I can smell during the night. Can also do this in the labour/delivery room as not allowed to burn an oil burner there x

• Oh i see - thats a cool idea thank you! X

• Thanks Hep, I'll get some in a few weeks then :)

• The midwife massaged my back with lavender oil when I was in labour. It was amazing and they provided the oil. I was in an MLU though.