Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Baby transportation, from birth - what to consider?

Hello, we plan to have a cot in the bedroom and a pram for sleeping downstairs, provided that's okay by baby! Then a sling and a car seat also.

Baby is going to have to be passed around a wee bit when I initially go back to work, so my teenager, my husband, my mum and my sister may all have to use whatever pram we choose. And we're on a budget.

I haven't owned or even touched a pram in a very long time! I'd be grateful for anything you think we should consider when browsing, and any obstacles we may come across or must-have's etc.

Thanks for any advice, it's much appreciated!

Replies

• How old will baby be when you go back to work? If 6 months plus I imagine you'll be using a stroller by then, not the big pram travel system things. They are pretty easy to use so everyone should manage with that, and fold small to fit in everyone's boot etc x

• Go and play with them and see what you like. Go somewhere like Kiddicare or John Lewis as they have loads. Think about where you live, what you want and will it fit in the car.

• I could be going back to work within a few weeks :(

• Will it fit in the car?

What will it mainly be used for (smaller buggies better for round town but 3 wheelers good for long walks)

Parent or outward facing.

Do you want the car seat to fit on the buggy chassis?

How heavy is it? Heavy buggies not so good if having to push it up lots of hills or if it will be lifted in and out of cars a lot.

Colour! :-)

• I think by law you have to have 6w off?

• I thought it was 2 weeks but dont quote me on it!

• I genuinely had never heard of a legal minimum, I went back after 6 weeks with my first because we couldn't buy food without my wage.

Because I earn way more than my husband I am hoping to come to some sort of flexible arrangement where I go back sooner, perhaps 2 days a week, but spread the maternity leave I am entitled to over longer.

Thanks MM, I like the questions to ask myself, and 'colour' made me smile. That's generally how I buy cars, lol.

• H banned me from buying anything pink!

• By law, 2weeks is minimum you have to take after birth.

• HorseFan

By law, 2weeks is minimum you have to take after birth.

Thanks! I'm definitely fine with that, I was thinking 4 :)

• I bought ours in the same way as I have bought cars in the past - thought very carefully in advance about all the things I need to look for and consider, walked into the shop, glanced around, and said "I like this one, it seems like the right one". Then properly researched it and looked at lots of others but still ended up buying the one I had the "good feeling" about. It's not very scientific but works!

make sure it will fit in the car - ask the shop if you can try it out in your boot to make sure.

• My things to consider are.. Do you want something that the carseat can go right onto?  

Do you mind it being two parts?  Are you happy to fold down this way?

If used for sleeping is the mattress suitably ventilated?  For us id only ever consider one suitable for overnight sleeping.

What is most important... weight or sturdy-Ness.

What season will you be using it?  My carrycot was invaluable for winter. Would imagine less so in summer?

What style of wheels?  Where do you use it and what do you do?  Ours aren't air filled iirc.

How do you feel about second hand maybe?  I always said if I hadn't afforded ours new id have gone second hand.  

• I think the others have covered it re the buggy.

With regards to returning to work early and spreading your may leave over longer, I'm not sure how possible this is as you can only work 10 days (known as Keeping In Touch days) before you trigger the end of your mat leave and maternity pay.

Assuming you've been there for a month before you conceived you'll be, as a minimum, entitled to 90% of your salary for 6 weeks then £136 for another 33 weeks, once you do more than the 10 days you (or more, your employers) can no longer claim this.

• Tina Teaspoon

I bought ours in the same way as I have bought cars in the past - thought very carefully in advance about all the things I need to look for and consider, walked into the shop, glanced around, and said "I like this one, it seems like the right one". Then properly researched it and looked at lots of others but still ended up buying the one I had the "good feeling" about. It's not very scientific but works!

make sure it will fit in the car - ask the shop if you can try it out in your boot to make sure.

ha! Sounds like when I buy an important dress :)

• Bridget Gump

I think the others have covered it re the buggy.

With regards to returning to work early and spreading your may leave over longer, I'm not sure how possible this is as you can only work 10 days (known as Keeping In Touch days) before you trigger the end of your mat leave and maternity pay.

Assuming you've been there for a month before you conceived you'll be, as a minimum, entitled to 90% of your salary for 6 weeks then £136 for another 33 weeks, once you do more than the 10 days you (or more, your employers) can no longer claim this.

Thanks for the info, could work out perfectly :)

• My things to consider when buying a pram / pushchair were :-

does it parent face in pushchair mode, not just with carrycot or carseat

fold in one piece

bar handle bar (my preference as I find it easier to push)

height adjustable handlebars (H is 1ft taller than me)

carseat that clicks on to the wheels wasn't a priority but has been infinitely useful (check first of all if the carseat will fit your car before investing a lot of time on the pushchair decision IYSWIM)

can I fold / unfold it (I had wanted a Bug Cameleon but couldn't unfold the thing)

does it fit in the boot of the car (I didn't want to have to take wheels off etc to get it in)

• I think the others have it covered. With lots of different people using it, i guess your main priorities will be an adjustable handlebars if they're all different heights, they are all able to put it up and down (think about how heavy the diff parts are to lift if it needs taking apart, or if it is fiddly etc.) will it fit in small boots and houses. You may also want to get something fairly unisex in colour - my h refused point blank to push a pink pram!

You may be better going for something smaller, like a baby jogger, that i think is suitable from birth, but is car seat compatible and folds up very small. (I don't have this pram, but i think it's what my friend had and used it from birth).