Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Can anyone give me some info on getting pregnant with no Fallopian tubes?

My H's brother and his wife found out they were pregnant a year past June. My sister in law was rushed into hospital when she was about 9 weeks if I remember correctly as they discovered she had an ectopic pregnancy and her tube had ruptured. She was taken for surgery and had her left tube removed. 

They were given the ok to try again about sept/oct time last year and have had no joy. They've been referred for tests/scans etc and my H's brother text last Friday to say they had found out his wife was pregnant again and they had been given an early scan (she was just over 5 weeks) but they couldn't see anything in her uterus. She had bloods done on Monday and her HcG levels were really high so they suspected another ectopic. She was scanned yesterday and confirmed its ectopic. She was taken into hospital yesterday and H's brother has just text to say she's going to theatre this afternoon and is having to get her right tube removed. I didn't realise she would loose her other tube, I was hopeful that as they had discovered it earlier this time she could save the tube. 

i know this doesn't mean that they can't have children, but what are the options for them now? I don't know anything about IVF etc and not sure what the different options are? My H has asked me a million questions but I have no clue. 

Replies

• IVF will be the only option for them. Every other type of treatment relies on the egg travelling down the Fallopian tubes. I'm part of a really awesome secret FB group for ladies having or had IVF. It started of as a group of friends and now we have about 30 ladies who are all lovely. If your SIL wants to join to ask some questions she would be welcome. We have a couple of ladies with no tubes, or clipped tubes because of pockets of fluid so I'm sure they would be willing to lend an ear.

If not, I've had first hand experience of IVF so any questions just shout.

Basically, the most common protocol involves injections or a nasal spray to shut down your pituitary gland. This is called down-regulating and turns off your own production of fertility hormones. When you are 'down regulated,' typically about 2 weeks of injections, you then start stimulating injections which are the fertility hormones that your follicles to grow. The doctors have complete control of the egg growth as they can alter the amount of hormones you inject and your own hormone production is switched off. There will be several tracking scans to watch the follicles grow, and when they are mature, they will collected.

Egg collection is carried out under either local anaesthetic, sedation or general anaesthetic and involved using and internal ultrasound to locate the follicles whilst and needle and catheter punctures the follicles and flushes out the egg. Whilst this is going on, the man is elsewhere producing his sample.

The eggs and sperm are checked and if they are all good quality the sperm will be mixed with the eggs and hopefully will fertilise them. If the sleek quality is poor they may do ICSI which is where they pick a good sperm and inject it into the egg.

The embryos wills be incubated to grow for 2-5 days, then popped back into the womb (very simple, quick and painless). Then hopefully the embryo will implant and Ta Dah! A pregnancy!

• Ducky thank you so much for this. I'll leave it a few weeks but if she wants to talk I'll mention to her about the FB group, that's really good of you to mention.

I hope your doing well, I still check over on the TTC board so I'm as up to date as your last posts and wishing you all the luck xx