Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Clary Sage oil for labour - Nala in here please! Xx

Anyone tried this to induce an overdue baby or help during labour?

During my birth reflections meeting the midwife suggested this if I was to fall pregnant again.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it though! Rub it on my belly? Sniff it? Burn in an oil burner?

Any ideas?!

Replies

• It is stinky and doesn't smell very nice.

I would have a bath with it, and sniff it on a flannel/muslin and only resort to rubbing in into my skin when desperate! I don't think you'd want your whole house smelling of it, so would avoid the oil burner.

• Also can I rub it on neat without mixing with a carrier oil?

Assume I can put it in a bath / put on a flannel or tissue neat without mixing with anything else..,?

• I got some fantastic oil for labour which had CS in but also lavender and some other bits so it doesn't smell.  My H (who is a trained massage therapist), gave me a couple of back massages with it.

• I used it almost every day from just before my due date and he was still 10days late. It stinks! Worth a try though I suppose. I would mix with a carrier oil as its quite strong on its own for the skin - plus you'd use quite a lot.

• How did you use it McSquirtle?

The midwife told me that it can help with contractions once they are established, as last time mine stopped when I hit 7cm, so her suggestion was to use it as massage and to smell when I'm in established labour I think.

I have some lavender oil so could mix with that for massage?

• I used it with a carrier oil and burnt it while I had a bath each day. And I used used it to massage my bump. Lavender oil would work well for a mix I think, might improve the smell too!

• Is lavender a carrier oil??

• Carrier oil is something like apricot, almond or sunflower (or you can use olive but it's quite heavy).

I used clary sage both times and it made bugger all difference. I had:

- drops on a tissue to sniff (used this throughout labour too, and kept it in my bra)

- drops on my pillow

- drops in my bath

- drops on the radiator or in an oil burner

- mixed with lavender and sweet almond oil for massage of bump/back and reflexology (by doula)

I can't stand the smell now, just reminds me of desperation for baby to get a move on!

• Hmm actually I don't think it is! I just did a quick google and its not coming up with much. I think carrier oils are usually (mostly) fragrance free. I used coconut oil when I used the Clary Sage. You could mix it with lavender to alter the smell, but I don't think you should use it on your skin. So sorry, I realise I've given you useless information there.

• No it's ok, its really helped!

Shall use almond oil as a carrier oil for massage but I'll burn it with lavender oil in a burner Smile