Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

2 year old advice please

HI EVERYONE ....

IM MUM OFF TWO BOYS 3 1/2 AND 2 YEARS OLD ..

THE THING IS MY YOUNGEST SON WHO IS 2 YEARS OLD HAS STARTED WAKING UP AT 2, 4, AND 6 EVERYNIGHT LOOKING FOR MILK IN HIS CUP...

I NO HE SHOULDNT BE DOING THIS AND SHOULD BE SLEEPING RIGHT TRUE THE NIGHT ..

I HAVE BROUGHT UP CUPS OFF WATER AND WHEN HE TASTES IT ALL HE DOES IS SCREAM AND WONT GIVE IN I HAVE TRYED LETTING HIM CRY BUT HE WAKES MY ELDEST SON ...

HE GETS A CUP OFF MILK WHEN HE GOES TO BED..

THE THING IS LATELY HES BEEN CRYING TO THE TOLIET AS HE IS CONSTAPIED AND I AM LOOKING FOR A WAY TO STOP HIM WAKING AT NIGHT WITHOUT THE MILK I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM WITH MY ELDEST SON HIS CUP WAS GONE GOING TO BED BY THE TIME HE WAS 2 YEARS AND HASN GONE BACK...

REALY WANT TO GET RID OFF THE CUP GOING TONBED WITH MY YOUNGEST SON  ?????? AND GET HIM SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT ?????

ANY ADVICE AND HELP ON BOTH QUESTIONS WOULD E GREATFULL... 

Replies

• We have a rule in our house that the first night they wake I give them a drink,calpol if they're ill,then back to bed.If they do it again a second night running,it's water in the cup.Third night nothing.There rarely is a fourth night.After that I don't go in.Obviously if they are ill it's different,but by two they should be able to go back to sleep or at least be learning to.They shouldn't need a drink to get them through the night.We have three in one room aged nearly 2,3and a half, and 9.They may disturb each other a little but they too have to learn to sleep through some noise.
    Also,my 9 year old has constipation problems when he was 2.We gave him loads of fruit,plus fresh orange juice for his afternoon drink,and plenty of fluids,not just milk.I don't know we did right so I'd check with a chemist,but we used something called Califig.They used to make a children's version but now it's just the one.It's a laxative which we used once a day to get him over the worst of it,then weaned him off over a period of months.Because it hurts to go to the toilet they hold it and won't go.This makes it worse and it can be a real issue.The laxative makes it more comfortable and they relax and it just becomes normal.Don't use a laxative without checking with a doctor or chemist though.We used a children's one but I only did it under the advice of my mum cos she's a trained children's nurse.We did have to have lots of embarrassing conversations about poo and if you did eat your fruit,drink your juice,eat brown bread,etc it makes them work better.We also set aside plenty of time to go to the toilet at a time which worked for him(he'd hold it till he could no longer and we'd have disaster in the bath so we knew when) and stay with him,to make sure he could go and see that he noticed it didn't hurt any more .Took a little while to fix.Lovely conversation in our house for a while.If in doubt see your GP.They can get complications and he can check evberythings working properly and there's no underlying cause
  • We have a rule in our house that the first night they wake I give them a drink,calpol if they're ill,then back to bed.If they do it again a second night running,it's water in the cup.Third night nothing.There rarely is a fourth night.After that I don't go in.Obviously if they are ill it's different,but by two they should be able to go back to sleep or at least be learning to.They shouldn't need a drink to get them through the night.We have three in one room aged nearly 2,3and a half, and 9.They may disturb each other a little but they too have to learn to sleep through some noise.
    Also,my 9 year old has constipation problems when he was 2.We gave him loads of fruit,plus fresh orange juice for his afternoon drink,and plenty of fluids,not just milk.I don't know we did right so I'd check with a chemist,but we used something called Califig.They used to make a children's version but now it's just the one.It's a laxative which we used once a day to get him over the worst of it,then weaned him off over a period of months.Because it hurts to go to the toilet they hold it and won't go.This makes it worse and it can be a real issue.The laxative makes it more comfortable and they relax and it just becomes normal.Don't use a laxative without checking with a doctor or chemist though.We used a children's one but I only did it under the advice of my mum cos she's a trained children's nurse.We did have to have lots of embarrassing conversations about poo and if you did eat your fruit,drink your juice,eat brown bread,etc it makes them work better.We also set aside plenty of time to go to the toilet at a time which worked for him(he'd hold it till he could no longer and we'd have disaster in the bath so we knew when) and stay with him,to make sure he could go and see that he noticed it didn't hurt any more .Took a little while to fix.Lovely conversation in our house for a while.If in doubt see your GP.They can get complications and he can check everythings working properly and there's no underlying cause
  • maybe he is wanting more to eat. Ayesha does this just before a growth spurt. Isabelle was the same. So I try to give them as many health snacks through the day. and something hearty at teatime followed by a heavy after like apple crumble. Ayesha wants ten tonnes of milk during the night when she is like this. She did it lasst night actually knackered now. At least if it is just a growth spurt then he'll grow out of it - sorry for the pun
  • hi everyone

i have a 2 year old girl, she wont go to sleep on her own in her cot. i have to go to bed with her in my bed i know she should'nt be like this . so i really need some advice .