Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Henrietta ?

We both love the name, but I don't like Hettie.

What variations would you go for, if you were considering Henrietta? Thanks!

Replies

• Etta? Thats what I would shorten it to. I love the name too! X

• I teach a Henrietta who is hetty and this morning there was one at the group I went to with p. She was called Eta which I think is cute and has a European feel to it.
  • etta is lovely, reminds me of etta james

• Etta is lovely. (Hettie just reminds me of the hoover)

• The hetty I teach is an utter horror too, puts me right off that shortening!! Mind you with any name that has variations on shortenings you cant predict/help what theyll become when they are older

• Not sure where I got this from but I thought your son was a Henry? I'm assuming I'm wrong?

I like etta but I think she would get continuous 'ate a' jokes.

• Not a fan personally, like AK Hettie just makes me think vacuum! I like Etta as a shortening and think Etta James rather than ate a.

• Don't you say etta as its spelt? I always have in my head.

Love the name and would actually shorten to Henri!

• missdeedee

Not sure where I got this from but I thought your son was a Henry? I'm assuming I'm wrong?

I like etta but I think she would get continuous 'ate a' jokes.

I have a Harry but he's Harrison, whicI I generally use as Harry-Son as opposed to how you'd normally say Harrison, if you see what I mean.

• AutumnRose

The hetty I teach is an utter horror too, puts me right off that shortening!! Mind you with any name that has variations on shortenings you cant predict/help what theyll become when they are older

That's very true, AR, but I don't mind too much. It's what we'd use at home I'm interested in. My mum still hates that all my best mates call me 'Dan'. never mind :)

I like Etta but actually, I think I like Ettie more, might work.. 

• Missus S

Don't you say etta as its spelt? I always have in my head.

Love the name and would actually shorten to Henri!

I like Henri too! I just couldn't do it with a Harry in the house already :)

• see thankfully you live in a posh area becasue if you heard me say ettie you wouldnt like it, it sounds as though im trying to say hetty but failing misarably with the H

• Like monnie, I think this might come down to accent, I can just imagine all the broad scottish kids round here saying etta like ate a but the a on ate sounds like an e!

• Ha ha! Def not poche round 'ere. However, I've only ever heard one person pronounce Harry as 'arry so maybe it's posher than I thought, lol.

• we wanted the name nate, but H veetoed it becasue i cant say it properly!

but i am proper common haha!

• Oh I love Nate. It was an early contender for us. I've said it 20 times in my head but can't work out how to say it wrong!?!

• you drop the T lol

your far too posh for me counter lol ! so it sounds more lik N8

• Gotcha!!!! I'm listening to Ray Winston on R2 and hoping that's how you speak in real life, ha ha ha!!

But I think I pronounce 'late' without a crisp 't' so I think Nate is fine. Gets my vote :)

• I like it!

I like Etta and Ettie too and just Hen/H.

• I know a Henny who is a henrietta. I love Etta as a short version of it