Forum home General Chat General chat

Need a new hoover...

We've got mostly floorboards. A hairy dog. Three floors and high ceilings (needs to be light and easy to move around, long whatsitcalled for reaching up to hoover down cobwebs from the corners, etc)

I think I prefer bagless, but really couldn't care less if it does the job!! I'm not particularly domesticated and the idea of spending time browsing the shops for this just makes me slip in to a housework coma.

Tell me what I need? Please?!

Replies

• Don't get a vax pull along bagless thing. I got one and it's crap.  I really want a new one but not forking out again.

• I've just got rid of my dyson ball dc24 I think absolutely hated it and after 5 years I snapped. Never seemed to do the job for us.  I've now got the miele s2111 and oh my god it's amazing . It hasn't got a telescopic tube as requested but I'm sure the next model up would have. Yes it takes bags but they are cheap enough on amazon,  but it's a small price to pay as it does an impressive job. I can't stop hoovering!  

• I've got a Dyson DC5 and it's ***. My next one will be a Miele, no question.

• We've got a Miele s range cylinder. It's brilliant

• I was about to say when I sked on here everyone said get the Miele and that opinion obviously still stands firm but when I went to the shops they all said the Dyson was better...

• We have a miele S381. It has a bag, but it's fine, does the job. H used it last week and immediately said it's rubbish and we need a new one! Then asked why we had got rid of the old one, which was much better. I said it broke down - 3 years ago!! The old one was a miele too - shows how often he does the hovering!

• I've a Miele Cat-Dog. I haven't got a cat or a dog but I have got 3 very messy kids and it cleans up after them no problem. I had a Dyson previously and it was rubbish - cable wasn't long enough and it kept getting blocked up and to work out how to clear the blockage I had to call the Dyson helpline...picture me on hands and knees, phone on speaker to some random Dyson employee who was having to listen to me getting increasingly frustrated whilst trying to gently ease off the suction plate (which you had to lever off with a screwdriver scratching the whole thing up) to discover it was in fact a paper jam! If a hoover can't cope with a scrap of paper then it's not worth having.

• SW

Don't get a vax pull along bagless thing. I got one and it's crap.  I really want a new one but not forking out again.

I had this one, but I swapped it for the Vax pet upright one. It's not that great on hardfloors though.
  • I've got a Henry Hoover though you have to have bags for it, it does the job with my hairy pugs.

• I have a Hetty hoover (same as henry but pink) I ran out of bags and now I don't have one in it. Works fine. I hate it for the fact it doesn't follow me when i pull it and gets stuck at EVERY doorframe and if I pull too hard she falls on her back (que me calling the hoover a sl*pper for being on her back all the time)

Sucks everything up though and they are very hard wearing.

• Little Pixie

I have a Hetty hoover (same as henry but pink) I ran out of bags and now I don't have one in it. Works fine. I hate it for the fact it doesn't follow me when i pull it and gets stuck at EVERY doorframe and if I pull too hard she falls on her back (que me calling the hoover a sl*pper for being on her back all the time)

Sucks everything up though and they are very hard wearing.

Actually just laughed out loud at this. Now the office think I am mad.

• I know I've posted about more important subjects, but really, I do love this thread. I get paid Friday so will be going shopping on Saturday and coming home with a new vaccuum cleaner. And it looks like it'll be a Miele, which is what I have but 3 years old and battered to death. H and I have both had Dysons and been frustrated by the cost and quality.

• Get a Miele Cat & Dog. It's the best hoover I have ever ever owned!

We have the power plus version (the cat & dog one is the same but with the hair picker up attachment) and the suction on it is amazing. It has different levels of suction depending on what surfaces you are hoovering. Does better than Dyson in the Which reviews.

• I've got a dyson animal and I love it but then I've always had rubbish hoovers previously. It is a little heavy but no complaints other than that.

We have a black lab and it certainly does the job with the hair.

• Hi all,

I would recommend the Shark IF200UKT,  I was quite surprised by the small size of this vacuum, but it definitely does not lack any power.  We were wowed by the amount of movement in the hoover and it’s low height meaning for the first time ever we could easily access under the wardrobe and desks.
    Living in a three storey house used to be a pain lugging a huge vacuum up all the stairs, but it’s so easy to run up and down with it due to it being so lightweight, and small. If I connect the floor nozzle directly to the handheld motor, it’s narrow width makes it perfect for quickly and easily cleaning the stairs.
    An issue I usually have is that my long hair gets wrapped around the brush rolls and takes forever to remove after trying to be able to get access to the roll in the first place. But on this machine there is a handy grove that I can just snip along on the brush roll, and the panel above the brush that you simply unclick makes the job take only a few minutes.
    I tried it on the wooden floor using the hard floor setting, and it not only got rid of the dust, it gave the floor a little polish too, so it has a nice shine without any effort.
    The storage mode is excellent as it can be hidden away in a cupboard easily because it becomes very compact, stands up on its own, and doesn’t have to be an eyesore mounted on the wall or plugged in.
    My only small negative is that, being left-handed, I cannot see the fill line on the dust cup, the battery level or empty the dust cup as easily. That being said, the world is set up for right-handers, so this issue isn’t isolated to this device.
    This vacuum cleaner has actually made vacuuming quite an enjoyable experience rather than a chore. I would 100% recommend.

The link to the exact model I use on amazon: http://amzn.to/2gC8b4T

Hope this helps