Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Mmr - anyone not have the jab or have any issues with it?

H has his mmr on monday and mum has mentioned she is worried he is having it incase he has any side effects. I was under the impression that it's as safe as any jab really and that the bad press it had had been disproved but I just wondered if anyone had taken the view not to give their lo the jab. Or anyone who didn't have a great experience.

thank you

Replies

• It has absolutely been proven safe. Babies do sometimes have side effects from it, same as other jabs but the benefits out weigh the risks by a million miles.
  • If he does have side effects, it's likely to kick in about 7-10 days after the jabs and that's it. L was poorly for a few days but that's nothing - it's the lesser of two evils. The autism link with the MMR jab was completely debunked, the doctor who wrote the report was struck off and there's been so much research into it and nothing has been found. Diseases like measles can be life threatening and have drastic consequences and I'd rather protect my children, and others in the form of herd immunity. I suspect your mum had heard hearsay/anecdotal stories about the side effects of the MMR but there really is nothing to be concerned about.

• No bad side effects here. W just slept a lit more for a couple of days after, which was how she was after all her injections.

As others have said, the bad press from years ago still is in people's minds, but it was shown to be wrong and us as safe as any of the other jabs as far as I am concerned.

• The Doctor that did the research was struck off it was that bad. Like others have said no reason not to have it and I would much rather my children have the mmr than have no protection.

• E showed no effects at all, not even the temp and being grizzly we had after his first lot of jabs, wouldn't have even known he'd had it to be honest. MMR has been proven safe but unfortunately the Daily Mail and the like did such a good job of scaremongering that even years later people are still questioning and meanwhile children are dying from measles.

• My parents had concerns over my little brother as he had the mmr when little and has mild Aspergers. It's never been confirmed/denied that the vaccine caused this but my parents are pretty convinced (rightly or wrongly) that the vaccine had something to do with it as he changed so suddenly. Me and my sisters didn't have the mmr until there was a mumps outbreak at school and we were 17, 15 & 8 then.

Obviously the vaccine is important and I want O to be protected but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about him having the combined vaccine. My Uncle paid for his children to have the vaccines separately because of this. Not sure how much that costs!

• I had no issues at all about C having the MMR, he was a little under the weather a week or so later but fine apart from that.  Any side effects from the vaccinations are nothing like what they'd get if they contracted one of the illnesses, and just adding to what everyone else has said in that everything Wakefield wrote has been disproved.

• BumpEnvy

My parents had concerns over my little brother as he had the mmr when little and has mild Aspergers. It's never been confirmed/denied that the vaccine caused this but my parents are pretty convinced (rightly or wrongly) that the vaccine had something to do with it as he changed so suddenly. Me and my sisters didn't have the mmr until there was a mumps outbreak at school and we were 17, 15 & 8 then.

Obviously the vaccine is important and I want O to be protected but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned about him having the combined vaccine. My Uncle paid for his children to have the vaccines separately because of this. Not sure how much that costs!

Separate vaccines are not recommended for several reasons, but most importantly the vaccines used are not licensed in the UK and therefore the private clinics are charging a fortune for unlicensed vaccinations based on misguided assumptions about MMR. I can understand why you'd have some concerns, but definitely have a read of the evidence before you make a decision.

• Just wanted to say that I expect we'll be having mmr but I will feel a little worried about it. I wouldn't not get him vaccinated and from what I've looked up, it's hard to get the mumps single vaccine now and if you do have single vaccines, they don't last as long.

Like the others have said, none of the studies on links to autism etc have been proven but in my parents eyes, they had a young toddler who had completely normal development and after the mmr it all changed, a coincidence most likely but you can imagine how they felt given all the press at the time.

• Cross posted with you Estrellita! Xx

• Like most people said the study was proved to be wrong and the doctor who wrote it struck off. The study had a test group of only 10 children so was massively flawed, the study was funded by the company who sell the individual jabs! BE I could see you parents worry totally but it was also proven that the MMR is given at the same time as developmental changes, which happens to be the time that autism is usually diagnosed, unfortunatly lots more children will suffer permanent harm from measles than side effects from the jab. I believe you can have the seperate jabs but they cost about £500 all together and are not licensed by NICE (who approve and test drugs for the NHS).

• My O was quite poorly approx 10 days later...temp, measles type rash etc BUT the benefits of the vaccine far far outweigh the side effects. My children will be getting every vaccine available to them if it means they don't catch any of these horrific conditions x

• There might be side effects, which are symptoms similar to a very very mild form of the diseases covered.  So we are talking rash, temperature etc.   None of the side effects are anywhere near as bad as contracting measles, mumps or rubella.  

Have a read of this which was written by Roald Dahl, following the death of his daughter from measles.  www.roalddahlfans.com/.../meas.php

• Molly had the MMR and she did react, her temp raised high and she vomited several times but it was under control very quick with meds and she was back to her bouncy self the next day. I would not hesitate to let any more of my children have it. There is currently a measles outbreak at our local school which really is bad news

• Thank you for all the balanced opinions and info and I'm sorry for all those who haven't had a great experience. H has the jab yesterday and has been poorly today but I'm not sure if it's just a cold bug he's picked up.

I'm just hoping he's ok but it is a hard decision to make

• See I totally disagree with your last sentence.  It isn't a hard decision to make.  You child may have some side effects for a few weeks later, they may not be happy but they aren't life threatening.  The other option is not having it and risking your childs life.  No brainer to me.

• I'm sure he'll be fine LM xx
  • Why is it a hard decision?

Risk of measles etc versus the risk of possibly having side effects like high temp/rash/being a bit grizzly for a few days??????????????????

Seems quite clear cut to me tbh

• E reacted to it. She had a mild case of measles and was miserable for a week with it but I felt it was the best of two evils. M still has not had it at 14 months as each time he is booked in, he's unwell! I have anti vax friends here and friends that chose single vaccinations based on their research. We researched it and felt that the right decision for us was to give our children the MMR. The 'proof' that the MMR and autism are linked was dismissed because it was discovered that Dr Wakefield manipulated evidence to make results suit his 'findings'. Sadly it's still very fresh in peoples minds and I think that the mistrust people now have in vaccines has gone on to cause outbreaks in he UK of illnesses that are both nasty and completely unnecessary. I try really hard not to judge our friends for their decisions not to vaccinate though.

• The other reason for seeing a link between the two is that for some forms of Autism children appear to develop normally and then go backwards at about the age that the MMR is given. So its not surprising that looking for a reason for the change in behaviour  in the child, the vaccine could be seen as the reason. However it has been discredited as others have said.