Forum home General Chat General chat

Trick or treat?!

So who is taking their kids out tonight to trick or treat? My sister is coming over with the girls and her boyfriend is going to do all their faces then they are heading out. Louie is well excited, he's got his pumpkin bucket ready by his costume already Laugh

Replies

• My kids won't be going begging for sweets.

I don't approve of trick or treating, and have a "no trick or treaters" sign in my window.

• Ah I love my kids begging. Saves me spending money for a week AK.

• No, C won't be going, although he has been asking to go "tickle treating" Laugh

I usually switch all the lights off and hide in the lounge (at back of the house), but I might actually answer the door this year since we've bought some sweets and carved a pumpkin, plus C wants to put on his skeleton costume.

• I think it's really cute when kids come to the door dressed up.

• I've got yoga tonight and H is going out so MIL is babysitting and M will be packed off to her bed, so no trick or treating here.  She does have a party at nursery though

Poor thing this morning wanted to wear her halloween costume to nursery.  Their party isn't til this afternoon and the room supervisor said yesterday to H that we should just send her in normal clothes but with her costume in her bag, and theyd get them all changed after lunch.  Took her in this morning in her normal clothes after lots of "mummy, I wanna be a witch!!!" and me saying no, and most of the kids were in their flipping costumes.  So I got her stuff out the bag and they were changing her into it when I left, but her wee face when she realised they were all dressed up and she wasn't.  This was after the room supervisor telling H last night when he picked her up that M was feeling sad because mummy hadn't got her a halloween costume - I had, she just hadnt seen it yet!  Never occurred to me that a three year old would be bothered about stuff like that!

• Kids are at the Exs and he doesn't do anythign with them so nope! But we went to a party yesterday insteadSmile

• what's Louie dressing up as Belle?

DD, tickle treating, that's really cute :)

• Belle

I think it's really cute when kids come to the door dressed up.

I wouldn't mind if it was just little kids, but there's often big kids going round in groups here which I find quite intimidating, and until you've answered the door you don't know who's going to be there.

• I really don't get it. Bring our kids up not to speak to strangers (or accept sweets off them), except for 1 day a year...

I love Halloween, just not trick or treating.

• Mine will be. Begging for sweets is great. It's the norm up here :-)

• Parents go round too, so speaking to strangers not an issue

• Deedee

Belle

I think it's really cute when kids come to the door dressed up.

I wouldn't mind if it was just little kids, but there's often big kids going round in groups here which I find quite intimidating, and until you've answered the door you don't know who's going to be there.

I meant answering the door DD. Loads of kids answer in costumes round our way it's lovely.

• Weekender - they know so much at this age! L's nursery can dress up if they want to. He was having a right meltdown about NOT wanting to dress up so we half agreed he could go in a Spiderman top (which he seems to have found somewhere as I've not bought it)

Tonight he's going as Mike Wazowski

• I haven't let A go out before but we're in a family estate now and all the kids go out so I'd feel a bit mean not letting her. We'll only be going to houses we know though,  not strangers.  Most the houses in my street are all decorated,  they put a lot of effort into it

• Omg belle, we need a pic of little Louie wazowski, that'll be so cute!

Ally that's partly why I'm not fussed to do it with M, there are verI  few children in our estate, those I can think of are all late teens so i don't think people would be expecting kids round.

• AK, up here you have to tell a joke, or sing a song or something to get your sweets, so it's not begging...more like busking Laugh

• Me, I love it. I only take them to houses with Halloween stuff on show as I presume they are up for it.

No kids seem to come begging at our house as we are on the edge of our village, shame, all the more for me :)

• Yes mine will also be begging, but even worse Itl be round our caravan site Laugh they have put a sign and decorations on caravans participating on holiday and we are just going to the vans on our row. Back home my street is very community focused and its also s big thing there everyone has open houses. I think t&t is a main part of Halloween tbh, what's the point of just dressing up?

• We are going to a Halloween disco and tea later.

I hate the concept or trick or treat, ' give me something nice or I'll do something to you' - not the message I want to pass onto my kids. Also, on the few occasions I have answered the door, and said trick, they look at me with surprise because they don't have any tricks! So its basically just begging then, without so much as a please...

• I agree with AK and Catarina, we hate trick or treating in our house.  I usually put a sign up but haven't tonight because we've been out to a Halloween party instead. I'm lucky that the girls have never asked to go trick or treating yet although I'm sure that'll come soon!