Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

One born every minute

Just watched last nights episode where one girl had her dad at the birth.

would you ever want a male relative with you? 

I definitely wouldn't. He did stay head end and she seemed to be covered so he couldn't see the bits and pieces, but I don't think I would have wanted to be worrying about making sure I laid with a blanket over me, I was flinging myself all over the place! 

Replies

• Options

Absolutely no way and there's no way my dad would want to be there. He wouldn't even touch my tummy when I was pregnant to feel S kick. I would never have my mum there either though which I know is a lot more common.

The dad last night did make me laugh when he said it would be the last grandchild and threatened the girls boyfriend with scissors hehe

• Options

No chance here! I just find that a bit odd, but if I had know one else I might ask my brother, suspect he'd say no though!

• Options

Not a chance. My brother got it in to his head when he was drunk a few months before I gave birth that he wanted to come to hospital when I was in labour and wait outside. I vetoed that pretty quickly!

• Options

No not in a million years. But I think the girl last night had a close relationship with him and he'd brought her up, so a bit diffetent maybe.

• Options

AutumnRose

No not in a million years. But I think the girl last night had a close relationship with him and he'd brought her up, so a bit diffetent maybe.

This, she lives with her dad rather than her mum. At first I did just think "no way!!" but I can understand it a bit more now (halfway through the episode).

• Options

To be fair she has allowed a full camera crew in, so that the nation can watch her give birth, so I don't find her allowing a male relative in strange at all. If she's close to her dad then why not?

• Options

My Dad had a melt down when I had to swab for MRSA at the top of my hip in front of him. I was in PJ's and laid in bed with a cover over me. He was still trying to run out of the ward lol x

• Options

CP I find allowing a camera crew very strange though!

Yeah she is obviously close to him, and I think it was good he was there as I think the boyfriend would have been useless on his own, I liked that the dad was encouraging him to support her.

But still, I personally wanted to have no one but H there so I wasn't worrying about being naked .

• Options

I think I'd be braver I front of a camera

• Options

I'm really close to my dad and I usually get his opinion on basically everything going on in my life but I don't think I'd want him in the room with me, there are things that he just shouldn't see.

• Options

It made more sense as the episode progressed...

Personally I wouldn't, but I think that her dad was her support network and for that reason I understand it.

I couldn't think of anything worse than having ANY of my make relatives at my birth....especially upon reflection!

• Options

Loved your comment picklepants - that is way up there with things  a dad never needs to see

• Options

Personally I wouldn't want my mum or my dad in with me, to me it is something very special between a couple.

However in that girls situation, her mum had clearly left the family home when she was a young child so she had the choice of a woman who abandoned her or a man who had been there for her and raised her.  She didn't really have much support from her partner.  I think her father was absolutely fantastic and an amazing birth partner.

• Options

If I didn't have my H I would 100% have my dad there. He brought me up. My mum and I don't speak and haven't had a close relationship for a long time. However, H will be there and I wouldn't want anyone else sharing that moment. Its ours.

• Options

I can understand why she had her Dad with her, but there's no way i'd want my Dad in there with me.

When I was having C, my Mum was in the delivery room with me, which I was so glad about. I was a scared 18 year old, my boyfriend was a scared 19 year old, so my Mum was a fantastic support. I needed a emCS so she wasn't allowed in to see C born, but she helped a lot during my labour.

With J, I only wanted H there.

• Options

Just watching this. Completely agree with JB about it being a special moment between the two of you, I wouldn't want anyone else there.

However, if I was in her situation, only 18, lived at home and had gotten pregnant accidentally by a boy who is also young and I'd only been seeing for a month then I might feel differently!