Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Taking temperatures - am I missing something?

Nearly all the babies in our NCT group have coughs/colds at the moment including E. There have been emails going around as to whether everyone can meet this week and the all mention baby's temperature.

I have never taken E's temp Embarrassed should I be? And how would you know when you need to be taking temperatures? SUrely there would have to be something that makes you think to do it or I'd be constantly getting the thermometer out every time she coughed at the moment.

Replies

• I only take if need to for example she has a cold at moment and last was upset, struggling to settle, snotty and warm so took her temp but it was fine

• The same thing happened to me with my NCT lot. It was obvious to me when he had a fever and I then took his temp to monitor it.

• I've only taken temps if they appeared otherwise unwell or felt unusually warm to touch.

• **Pip**

I've only taken temps if they appeared otherwise unwell or felt unusually warm to touch.

wPs. I've only done it twice - once after jabs and when she was ill with a cough/cold. 

• Phew! Not the negligent mummy I thought I might be.

Suspect I am generally thought of as a bit odd by the group especially as E gets taken out every day cold or not x

• We have one of those swanky ear thermometers after not having one for ages with Dd1 we had an incident where we had overlooked how ill our dd1 was because we had no means of checking her temperature properly. She ended up in hospital and I felt like a very bad mummy. Now whenever they are ill I use it as a gauge whether to medicate or not and when to seek medical attention.

• **Pip**

I've only taken temps if they appeared otherwise unwell or felt unusually warm to touch.

This. If he's hot I like to know what his temp is so I can keep an eye on it.