Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

TENS machine

Do they work in early labour? If so which brand is best?

Im torn whether to bother or not.

Replies

• Options

Apparently so..unfortunately I didn't know I was in labour until it was too late on so mine never made it out of the box!

• Options

Yes. it was a lifesaver early on. You can hire them from various places like boots. HIghly recommend them.

• Options

Ive haired mine from a website i believe is called pregnancy tens? its £22 for 7 weeks hire x

• Options

I've been wondering this too LD. That's a brilliant deal NLH!

• Options

I used mine until I got into hospital - so at 10cm and pushing really! I took it off at that stage as it was doing naff all any more, but I loved loved loved it in the early stages. I hired from somewhere online (I don't remember where I'm afraid) for something similar to NLH.

• Options
    I used the same as neverlosehope. No complaints. Worked too. X
  • Options

I say yes they do work!

I was induced, so my contractions came on pretty strong, very very quickly. I had only been on the drip for about an hour and within that time my contractions were coming every minute and lasting about 40 secs. I used the tens machine for about an hour and half before I just couldnt cope with the pain anymore and asked for gas and air. So I'd say it'd definitely be worthwhile in the early stages of a 'normal' labour. That boost button is great! I had an ELLE tens machine.

• Options

Thanks ladies, positive feedback all round.

NLH, I had a look on that website and the deals are so good I think I am just going to hire one and it doesn't matter if I don't even use it. Thanks for the tip. x

• Options

Yes mine was a lifesaver last time, used it from first contraction to just before delivery - I hired it from boots but I enquired and they said they don't hire them out anymore (was 5 years ago) so I got mine from said website too. Just a tip - I still had mine on when my waters broke in hospital and because all the fluid went underneath my back it started to give me electric shocks! I was in so much pain I couldn't communicate properly so nobody could understand what I meant! So maybe don't use lying down if your waters are about to pop!

• Options

Yes, mine was great in early labour. Once established, it started to pee me off and I ordered H to rip it off. It was definitely worth it for the first 3/4 hours though. Most hospitals hire them too.

• Options

I loved mine - it was boots own.  I put it on when my contractions were coming every 3mins, I was even using it when on gas & air when contractions were on top of eachother and when I was pushing.  I only went onto gas & air as they kept taking blood from R's head, which was not pleasant. When a contraction came I put the strength right up when it went I put it down to a lower setting.  I did not talk to anyone all labour it was just me & my best friends tens machine :) I would highly recommend one.