Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

The name Devon for a girl

I was looking through a name book last night and came across Devon in the girls section. the only Devon I've heard of is an actor (can't remember his surname) , and so I'd always thought of it being a boys name but according to this book it's unisex.

i really like the sound of it for a girl, but don't want to use it if everyone would think its a boys name. 

What do you think? If you heard someone called Devon, would you assume they were a boy? 

Replies

• Options

I think it could be used for a girl too. I struggle a bit with it as I live in Dorset area so to me it's a county. I assume you don't live down 'ere?

I do like Devlin though have you come across that?

• Options

Devon Sawa??? Because of him, I would think boy, but I also think it works for a girl.

Bea, if I was to have another (which will never happen), Devlin is the middle name of choice. Although, it is the name of a rapper, I think.

• Options

I only know Devons that are male but in America it's probably more a girl name. I quite like it for either though

• Options

Ah yes so it is AK but google tells me his first name is James so think its ok.

• Options

H and I think it's a boy name, sorry!

• Options

Yes Bea I live "up north" . I know it's a well known place bit I don't think that would put me off as its not a place round the corner from me IYSWIM

I'd not heard of Devlin, but have a friend who has that as a surname so couldn't really use it.

AK- yeah I think it is Devon Sawa I'm thinking of.

• Options

To me it would be a boys name, and also Afro-Caribbean

• Options

I've never heard the name Devon. I think I would say boy if I had to guess.

• Options

I think it's quite unisex.

• Options

I would have said boy, but I've never heard of anyone called that either sex

• Options

Thanks everyone. I think like others have said its unisex, but worry people would assume it was a boy on paper etc.

I do still like it, it will stay on the list for now as I have plenty of time to think about it but not 100% about it

• Options

I know a female Devon so wouldn't automatically assume it's a boys name.

• Options

I know a woman, who has a little girl called Denver. Everyone thinks it is a boys name when they hear it, never put her of though.

• Options

I think of it as quite a surfy name by the way!

• Options

I like!

• Options

I think of it as a girl's name as a girl I used to go to a youth club with when I was a kid was called Devon.  It's lovely.

• Options

There's a lady at C's nursery called Devan (she was C's keyworker at one time), and I'm sure there was a boy called Devon at my school.

• Options

I've heard it a lot in America for boys.  Nell McAndrew's son is called Devon as well.

• Options

There was a girl at A's nursery called Devon and in my baby name book it's listed under girls names but not boys. I like it!

• Options

I love it. And I think girl, never thought of it as a boys name at all!  

There is a supermodel called Devon Aoki.