Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Weaning at 11 weeks, how flippin' stupid.

Was at a group today with the LO I look after and got chatting to a mum who laughingly told me she was weaning her 11 week old baby. It was her 3rd baby and apparantly "the other 2 wanted to start early too" , she said when she was eating he was watching her and he managed to eat a whole petite filous so he 'must be ready', groan. It made me so annoyed I just had to change the subject.  Poor baby, he was just all floppy and newborn-like still, it seemed SO wrong that she would put him in a highchair and give him food. 

Replies

• It's frightening the things people will do. Why dont people want their babies to be babies?? The one I've got on the way will likely be our last, I want it to be a baby as long as possible!

• Jeeeeez, that *is* early. O still has lots of that newborn jerkiness, and although is eating like a horse, he's still nowhere near ready to wean. I hated weaning, still hate feeding coco. It's so damn messy and she takes aaaaaaages. Why would you want to expedite that?!?

Interestingly, my sis' friend started weaning her baby around 4ish months, maybe a bit before. The next time I saw her she said that she had stopped as the health visitor had told her off for weaning her early.

• Well he didnt really eat it did he, I guess he was swallowing what was shoved into his mouth. Bloody ridiculous behaviour, why is everyone in such a rush for babies to grow up?

• How awful, poor baby. It's so sad

• What a douche, poor baby :-(

• In my cabbage it seems insane to feed any baby that can't sit up properly because surely that's the only way their inner organs can process and digest food properly? Madness.

• In your cabbage?! Laugh

I really don't get what the rush is. It's messy and a faff. I want my babies to be babies.

It's so hard when you're just making small talk with people and they come out with things like that, you really want to say some thing but I imagine it'd fall on deaf ears.

• That's awful, poor baby, it's actually an awful, cruel image imagining the poor lo being fed yoghurt, Sam is 14 weeks and the thought of his little face if I did that now, how can it seem the right thing when baby can't sit up?! Of course they watch you eat, Sam watches every thing we do! People just interpret things to suit them. I really don't understand the rush, they'll be eating food for a long time, why hurry this precious and simple time?

Ha ha at cabbage!

• I didn't sleep well last night (baby slept more than me). My head today is an overripe mushy cabbage

• Bridget Gump
    In your cabbage?!

This is Hitched talk...

11 weeks is FAR too young. I wouldn't have changed the subject, i'd have had a bit of a go TBH.

One of my FB friends weaned her daughter at around 3 months, I went mental at her. Never stopped her, but I felt  a bit better, knowing I at least said something. I seemed to object to a lot of things she did, it's a wonder she still talks to me...

• weaning is messy and much more of a faff than milk feeds - why on earth would you want to encourage that?? I was so avoiding the issue that poor S had his first few meals with the pushchair pushed up to the coffee table as I hadn't got round to buying a high chair when he nicked my sandwich from the table while I wasn't looking and actually got it in his mouth and bit down! I grudgingly accepted that he was ready to wean at this point! (5m3w)

• What is it with people. Three people today alone have asked me if I have started weaning F yet. He is 15 weeks old, no I have not started weaning him. Apparently he is not sleeping because he is hungry! Funny that, since he just had a 7oz bottle. A Gp even suggested as he is big I might want to wean him early.

• This isn’t stupid at all. Some babies are ready to be weaned early and it used to be wean at 12 weeks, and not the new weaning at 6 months. Experts and researchers actually say that there is no need to wean at 6 months as we live in a world where we sterilise everything. They also say that weaning early is best for baby as they will sleep better, and be less fussy eaters as you get them to try new flavours and textures before 6 months. Furthermore weaning early has proven that the child has a healthier life as an adult with little to no problems. As they say, the old ways are the best.
  • Mammy129 said:
    This isn’t stupid at all. Some babies are ready to be weaned early and it used to be wean at 12 weeks, and not the new weaning at 6 months. Experts and researchers actually say that there is no need to wean at 6 months as we live in a world where we sterilise everything. They also say that weaning early is best for baby as they will sleep better, and be less fussy eaters as you get them to try new flavours and textures before 6 months. Furthermore weaning early has proven that the child has a healthier life as an adult with little to no problems. As they say, the old ways are the best.
    There is evidence that supports weaning from 4-6 months. You’re right in that some babies are trashy for solids earlier than others. However no evidence I’ve read suggest that doing so will lead to improved sleep, less fussy eating habits and the healthy adult leading little to no problems is pure pie and the sky. That cannot be proven due to too many environmental factors.
    The “old ways” are not the best. Somethings very much belong in the past, practice, knowledge and understanding improve with further research. Weaning is one of those. 
  • Trashy=ready