Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Pregnancy tests: do you 'tweak'? Is 'tweaking' a good idea or not?

Hello.

We'd really love your thoughts, please, on a new trend we've been noticing, here on the MadeForMums TTC forum and out there on other sites, for folks to 'tweak' photos of their pregnancy tests – to try to see if they can spot a different, or more definite, result. 

What's 'tweaking'?

Well, for those of you who don't already know, it's taking a photo of an apparently negative pregnancy test and then adjusting the brightness/contrast or inverting the image or even using photo-editing software to see if these 'tweaks' will show up a faint line that could mean the test is, in fact, positive and you're pregnant.

People also 'tweak' if they think they can see a faint positive line on the test – in the hope that a little adjustment or two might make that faint line look more definite.

We've just discovered that's even now an app that promises to take your pregnancy test pic and use 'specialized filters easily pull a line not visible to the naked eye to a strong positive'.

So what we're wondering is: is tweaking a good idea or not?

Do you or would you tweak? If so, why? And if not, why not?

Have you ever posted a pic of a tweaked pregnancy test on Chat – and asked for other people's verdict on whether they can see a faint line or not? Did you find the replies helpful?

Please do let us know what you think by adding a post to this thread. We'd really value your opinions and reactions to this.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/127833.jpeg

Replies

• I think this is such a bad idea!!! I really feel for the ladies who are in that frustrating, anxious ttc stage but i really think this can just add to the pain!! I honestly believe that if you can't see it with your own eyes then you should take that as a negative. I feel so bad for some of the ladies as it gets their hopes up, only to have them dashed a few days later in some cases. I know for some it does work out but why take that chance of heartbreak?. 

• I agree with SW2 and feel VERY strongly AGAINST this practice!!! It gives false hope and will force people into a false sense of hope. As hard as it is, you just have to wait. You're in this for 9 months so what's a week at the early stages?? Don't do it if you value your sanity.

• I agree that it really isn't worth it because even though it works for some it isn't going to work for all and can cause heart ache if people think the test is positive when it isn't really. Agree with the comments above, a week isn't that long to wait to get a real, definite result.

• Is this a positive lines or evaporation lines?

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/128188.jpg

• I have done it! I got a positive pregnancy test with my youngest but on camera you could hardly see it so I increased the contrast so that it could be seen on facebook. its not cheating its being proud of being pregnant and wanting to share your results, but the camera doesnt always agree!

• imagePlz tweak this for me somebody xxx

• Tash that lines visable, no tweak required! Congrats 😊