Forum home Product Tests Product tests

Sleepyhead Deluxe product test: the feedback thread

EDITORS' NOTE, ADDED ON MARCH 12th 2018: Since we ran this product test on MadeForMums, some safety concerns have been raised about using baby sleeping pods and nests with babies under 12 months. You can read more about this in our 'safety questions about baby pods and nests' article.

Hello.

This is the feedback thread for those of you who are testing the Sleepyhead Deluxe for us as part of our latest MadeForMums product test. (If you're testing the Sleepyhead Grand, please leave your feedback over on this thread.)

You should all have received your Sleepyhead Deluxe by now (if not, it's definitely on its way!) and have had a chance to test it out – and take a picture of your child using it.

So, please can you now give us your feedback on this thread by answering the following 5 questions:

1. What do you think of the Sleepyhead Deluxe pod when you first received it?

2. How do you find using the Sleepyhead Deluxe? Where/how do you use it most?

3. The Sleepyhead pod you’re testing costs about £99. How do you rate that as value for money?

4. Would you recommend the Sleepyhead Deluxe to a friend?

5. How do you think your baby likes the Sleepyhead Deluxe? Please post up your picture of your child sleeping/playing in the pod with your reply (to upload a pic, click the little camera icon at the top right of the 'Add your reply' box).

Everyone who leaves quality feedback on this thread (and is part of our product test) will be put into a draw to win a £100 Love2Shop voucher.

Thank you so much - and good luck!

The Sleepyhead Deluxe (0 to 8 months), pictured below, £99, is a multifunctional portable pod, recommended by midwives and designed for use all around the house. You can use it as a crib, a cot insert, a play pod, a changing station, a sleep positioner, a tummy-time aid, and a travel bed. It comes with a fully removable, machine-washable cover and is available from John Lewis and the NCT.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6030864/uploads/ForumPostImages/131361.jpg

Replies

• 1. What do you think of the Sleepyhead Deluxe pod when you first received it?

- when I first opened the packsging, I was surprised at how lightweight the Sleepyhead Deluxe pod was. I wasn't too impressed with the design though, it was a horrible Zebra print with orange lettering. But overall it looked quite comfortable.

- I tried putting my 4 week old little boy in the Sleepyhead, in his cot, on my bed, in the front room... He screamed relentlessly. I tried several times over a few days and he hated it, I felt terrible! I don't know what it is that he doesn't like about it.  he is very tiny and maybe doesn't feel as secure as he does in is Moses basket. The Sleepyhead Deluxe would be ideal for a bigger, older baby. Good for baby going from Moses to Cot and good for travelling. My friend is going to borrow my Sleepyhead for her 3 months old and see how she gets on. 

3. The Sleepyhead pod you’re testing costs about £99. How do you rate that as value for money?

-Personally, I don't feel £99 is justified for the Sleepyhead Deluxe... There's just not much to it. I'd rather spend more money on other essential baby items.

-To be honest, I wouldn't recommend it, it's overpriced and my baby boy hates it! 

5. How do you think your baby likes the Sleepyhead Deluxe? Please post up your picture of your child sleeping/playing in the pod with your reply (to upload a pic, click the little camera icon at the top right of the 'Add your reply' box).

-I don't wish to post of photo of my poor baby screaming and crying in the pod! Sorry! 

• My first impression of the sleepyhead was that it was interesting being black and white as they are the colours babies focus on the most and my two month old certainly noticed it.

It seemed very sturdy and well made as well. Quite lightweight too compared with what we thought it would weigh, so good for moving it from room to room.

We are still trying to establish moving our baby into her own room, so mainly used our sleepyhead for playtime on our bed. It worked well as a prop to make our bed into a kind of large playmat with a different setting to the lounge. It worked well for putting her in to 'chat'. It supported her head to chat but also to fully sink into to relax. We also used it for tummy time and it was great for that.

in terms of value, that's subjective. If you're like me and regularly buy new things to mix things up for your baby as they need variety, it's not too bad. If you don't have a lot of disposable income, you might not be able to justify it solely for playtime.

i'd recommend as above.

My baby did like it but again she only experienced it for playtime.

imageimageimageimageimage

• I was really pleasantly surprised when I received my sleepyhead. I loved the black and white zebra stripe design and thought it was much more sturdy than I had expected. 

I have been using the Sleepyhead for my little one to sleep in at night.  It is so sturdy I have been able to just put it on the floor with no other mattress or anything needed which I was really impressed with.  She is only four weeks old so still very new but when she was born she wouldn't really settle in the Moses basket but when I put her into the Sleepyhead she fell asleep straight away. She definitely seems to like sleeping in the Sleepyhead and I find it really useful as I am able to put her next to me in my bed without the concerns of co sleeping in my bed. 

I do think the Sleepyhead is quite pricy at £99 but at the same time if it aids sleep I would definitely be prepared to pay it. 

I would definitely recommend the Sleepyhead to friends and love the fact that you can use it for so many things. Although I haven't really used it for playing or anything else yet as she is so little,  as she gets bigger I can definitely see myself using it for this. I also love the idea that you could use it as a travel cot. 

A picture of my little one sound asleep in her sleepyhead. 

•  

1. What do you think of the Sleepyhead Deluxe pod when you first received it?

I was happy with the sleepyhead as it was ready to use as soon as I got it with no messing.  I also thought the zebra print design was quite funky too.  it is really light and doesnt take up too much room.  

as it is light it is really easy to move around from room to room.  My baby is quite windy/sicky so he likes to sleep on his front (which he only does during day when I can watch him).  I can therefore take him with me in the house.  As he's only 5 weeks old he mainly sleeps in it but does sometimes go in for playing.  It has been a lifesaver for bedtime as I put him in it downstairs and for bed I can move him upstairs without him knowing.  He therefore stays asleep whereas before he was waking.  The only thing I would say is I would like another handle on the side as there's only one on the left. 

I like the fact that I can prop my head on side of it to be closer to my baby. 

It is a lot of money but worth it if baby sleeps.  I wanted one but couldn't afford so thank you for this.  Maybe more would buy if cheaper.

Yes definitely.

He seems to like it and since he's got this he's sleeping most of the night in his sleepyhead in his cot.  See pics below. 

• sorry having to add pics separate as they arent on my i pad!  sleeping pic and one where he's having a nosey around.imageimageimage

• Looks good and reviews were very helpful not sure I can justify spending that much money though. 

• Hi Mummy Tortoise - my baby boy doesn't really like the Sleepyhead at the moment, as I said in my review. Hopefully when he gets a bit bigger he will like it a bit more.

it is a good product - just very expensive, for what is really just a pillow! I would not have paid £100 for this when there are other essential items I could spend my money on.  Xx 

• Thanks for your great feedback – and wonderful pics! – everyone.

As the product test is now over, we're going to close this thread to further posts.

But, before we do so, we can announce that we've put all the testers names into a hat, along with the names of the testers who posted feedback on the Sleepyhead Grand, and the winner of the draw for the £100 LovetoShop voucher is rmarks. Congratulations! We'll drop you a mail with all the details. 

Thanks again to all our testers and testing volunteers. We're sorry you can't all win! But do please keep your eyes peeled for more MFM Product Tests in the future.