Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

will my son cope for one evening without me?

Im ment to be going out for the evening next saturday for my 21st! but i have never left my 13 month old son with anyone anyone before, hes still breastfeeding, he has a feed before bed at 7pm then he wakes for another at 11pm then every hour or so after that.

My mum has offered to babysit but i really dont no how my son will cope missing his evening feeds and without me there, has anyone got any advice to help the evening run smoothley...?

molly xxx

Replies

• Hun,I think your mum will cope fine,are you going to express a couple of feeds just in case?

You need to celebrate your birthday hun-it's a special 1 !!!

Molly,I would have loadsa EBM ready chilled,a nice munchy treat for grandma,go out and let your hair down,you deserve it x

• thanks, i didnt really think of expressing but could give it ago! only prob is he hates bottles but iv never tryed him with expressed milk in one, maybe are try him a couple of times this week with EBM and see how he reacts. x

• Word of warning hun,my eldest never took a bottle of me with EBM,perhaps OH or your mum could give first expressed feed? Doubt you LO will be happy with a bottle off you when you've got the best thing under your t-shirt!!!!!image

You can pick up good quality manual pumps for £20-I had the tommee tippee one x

• hiya molly,

i left my youngest for the first time last week for my 21st, unfortunatly she gave up breast feeding a month or so ago, but i was more worried about her than she was me, she had fun with grandma before bed, and i can only second whats said above, neither of mine would take a bottle from me, i introduced a dummy so i could leave lola, but that was only for extra sleep when she was small, not literally leave.

Hope it goes smoothly, and have a lovely birthday xxx

• Hi,Molly.

You have to celebrate your birthday.I'm sure your little one will be fine.If your son's never taken a bottle till now you can try giving the milk in a beaker,you said he's 13 months.My third would never drink form a bottle she went straight to a beaker at about 8 months.All of mine were finished with bottles by a year or soon after.If your son's drinking juice or water already it would be a familiar object rather than trying to introduce a bottle

• tryed a little Ebm in a beaker 1st then a bottle at bedtime this eve to test things out for the weekend and he was having none of it , just looked a little confused and kept throwing the bottle and trying to snuggle up for a proper feed,not sure what im goin to do now maybe are just try again each day, see if thing improve. x
  • Can your Mum come over at bedtime a night before,do the bedtime routine with you?Try and not be in the room when the bottle or beaker is offered.Does he drink juice/water from the beaker?If so he'd be more likely to try it.

• aw hun, my youngest was funny about bottles, if mum cant come over could you lay him down in a buggy/chair and offer the cup/bottle so hes not in his usual posostion? Lola still wont be held for a bottle and shes given up breastfeeding, try and hold her and she roots, strange baby lol! best of luck x x x
  • Merlin roots,and he was only bf for a couple of days.I think he's just guilt tripping me,lol.

A change of position,completely different to what he's used to may well help.Do you have any kind of sleep aids,a soft toy,particular toy.Even something of yours.Mine all did/do sheetsand raggies.From about a year they've made one of their toys favourite.Even if  your Mum can't get him to take a feed,as long as your Mum can settle him,so he's not too distressed by it all

• even though my madam was bottle fed by the time i left her i booked a taxi for after her bedtime, very close to it, so i settled her and left immeadiatly, then if when she woke she went nuts and i had to go home id given my self the most time possible!