Forum home Toddlers & older children Children's health

Scared of hearing aids

Hi all, I'm new here, I simply need to talk about the issue of my cousin's 12-year-old daughter. She is partially hearing impaired and showing extreme behavioural changes at times. She becomes extremely frustrated when someone talks to her. She has been experiencing ear problems since she was 6-year-old. She can't hear anything or know what is going on around her and this made her irate. She is griping that she has muffled hearing and ringing in her left ear and she can't even hear yelling from the corner.  So we are planning to consult her with an expert audiologist in westside audiology, Calgary for a hearing evaluation test ( http://www.westsideaudiology.com/services/comprehensive-diagnostic-hearing-evaluations/ ) but she is scared of wearing hearing aids and refusing to come with us. We are really befuddled. What are we supposed to do?  

Replies

• I don't know what you can do about hearing aids but having been a child with hearing problems i offer this advice.  For the time being find coping strategies, in particular when you /everybody are talking to her make sure she can see your face as this will help her lip read. 

how about making a Story incorporating the hearing aid? Make it fun.  

maybe getting a dummy one at home for her to look at and touch inadvance.  You can also get some pretty cool hearing aids these days, 

image Again you could make a story and make it fun