Forum home Family life & relationships Family finances

Scared and worried :(

I'm 6 months pregnant, I work 5 days a week 9 hours a day, my has his own business which isn't doing well at the moment. I find that I'm paying for everything, and we're still behind on our rent, our council tax, and every other bill going. I know my partner feels useless, everyday he comes home and he gives me this look and I know it means he hasn't made any money. I hide our letters from him because every single one is someone wanting money and I don't want him to feel like a failure :( he's  really not himself and he's down all the time which makes me feel down.. I don't know what to do, we have letters from bailiffs which I'm mostly worried about :(
I just worry so much for our unborn daughter, this should be the happiest time of our lives, but everytime I feel her move I cry because I know we're not going to be able to give her everything she wants. People will ask me 'have you got her pram yet!?' 'Have you decorated her nursery yet?' I tell them yes and pretend I'm organised, but really, I have nothing :'( my mum bought her a tiny summer dress and when she gave it to me, I broke down because its the first thing my baby owns. I sit and look around our home, dreaming of all the things i would do to get it ready for her, and things that need doing. But thats all i can do.. I don't know where to turn to, I'm sorry for the sob story, I just want someone to tell me everything is going to be OK and for it to be true 😢

Replies

• Ok time to be practical.  Get some proper advice from a debt counsellor / citizens advice. Make repayment plans you can afford (it's most important it's affordable and don't let companies push you into paying more than you can afford - it's most important you pay something) 

as hard as it is if Hubbys business is not making money it has to go Or needs a drastic change! Maybe depending how bad things are consider bankruptcy - again get proper advice.  Hubby will need to get a regular job.    

it is hard and a complete change but it's not the end of the world.  

My Dad had his own business, it was going ok, the premises he was using had been sold by landlords - someone else bought the premises and increased the rent beyond affordability.  My Dad had to change to running a different business freelance.  We all worried what would he do as the business he had was pretty much all he had ever done.  Turns out now looking back giving up his premises and the change was the best thing that could of happened.  He likes what he does now and it suits him better.  

I spent many years in debt, I know how helpless you feel.  Main thing is do your research on your position aswell as seeking professional advice.  Stay strong, don't do anything that will land you In more trouble.  

mall of this will take time but there is light at the end of the tunnel.  

• And more sure you get everything you are entitled to 

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/ 

This website will be invaluable 

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/debt-help-plan

in the meantime - for your baby things try Facebook pages dedicated to selling / free cycling preloved items in your local area.  Try your local Salvation Army /home start aswell 

• Don't allow these companies anyway of getting your phone number. if you call them withhold your number, tell them to put everything in writing