Forum home Family life & relationships Childcare & work
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Single mother of 9 month old. No family to help me and got to go back to work????

I am a single mother of a 9 month old baby, Cooper. Before I went on maternity I worked 24 hours a week nights. Returning to work they have given my shifts away and could only offer me 8-8 in THE DAY? which is ridiculius as even if I could afford nursery there's none open until that time anyway. Now I'm really worried and stressing out because I'm on 0 hours contract now so i basically don't know what to do, they give me 2 night shifts to do and my 88 year old grandad is the only family I have and he has him over night for me but he's poorly tonight so I've Had to call in and tell them I just cannot get him babysat it's unfair on my grandad. I'm so worried. 

i can't even work 8-2 because the childcare for the day is £47 and I only earn £39 a day. 

Does anybody have have any suggestions? Please help us

Replies

• Options

Your doctor should have numbers of people he can give you for help and support?

im sorry your going through this xxxx

• Options

I'm just so scared of being fired but my son is my priority. Useless dad that won't see him or help me too X 

• Options

There must be support groups or someone or something that can help you? Xx

• Options

Surely you would get working tax credits on top of the child tax credits you may already be receiving? Thought they were supposed to help with quite a lot of the childcare costs enabling you to go back to work after having a baby. My friend works and she was helped quite significantly with the costs of daycare for her little one. 

Zero contract jobs are such a pain. I was on zero contract and had nothing but hassle and constantly felt like I was going to struggle to pay rent etc. Once I've had the baby and go back to work I won't be taking anything that doesn't offer a contracted amount of hours. 

Maybe you could try looking for a different job that was more suited to your situation (more flexible). 

I would also contact child maintenance options to arrange for the father to help you financially- he may not want contact but he still has a responsibility to his child. 

• Options

you may be able to get help claiming from your local citizens advice bureau or your local jobcentre 

• Options

Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.

• Options

Edensimp how are things going for you? 

• Options

• Options

• Options