Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

3 lines in ovulation test

Hello me and my partner have been trying for a baby for 9 months now after she got rushed into hospital with a womb / pipe infection they have done 2 ultrasound scans and have told us all is fine with no scares the doctor have said todo these test to see if the egg is there we been doing them but all have had bad results today we have done one and has 3 lines 1 in the one window a second right at the second window and a clear white indented line in a 2nd window is this normal ?? We did one yesterday and came back negative but 20 mins later a second line appeared faded now today the second one has appeared faster

Yesterdays one

Todays

Replies

this is a better image 

• Hi , in order for the ovulation test to be positive it must be as dark or darker than the control line. Anything lighter is considered negative as there is always LH(the hormone that an ovulation test checks for) in a womans blood stream. Its a surge of lh that you want to test for so keep testing everyday until you see a dark line...the lh surge is sudden and usually precedes ovulation by 12-36 hrs. The optimum time to take a test is between 2 and 2:30pm NOT first morning urine and disregard any result after 15-20 mins as they can be "evap lines". Is your partner taking her basal body temperature or is she checking her cervical fluid?

Would you say this is positive ?? This is the top one the darker one

• Not quiet yet but it is darker compared with the others...id say later tonight or tomorrow will be darker ,make sure to test tomorrow and i know its a pain but set alarm for middle of night and test as the colour is getting darker and it changes quiet quickly.

You should start having intercourse now and right through for 5 days 

You will notice the ovulation test get light again very soon after it reaches its peak "darkness"....usually only stays dark 1-2 days sometimes less and then ovulation occurs 12-36 hrs after that.

Note that an ovulation test is not a guarantee that you will ovulate...the only way to know for sure is to record basal body temperatures for a whole cycle.