Forum home Babies Baby

Pre-tod: a good name for the stage between toddler and baby: what do you think?

Hi everyone, 

We’ve noticed that, over in the US, there's a trend for calling children who just have turned 1 year old 'pre-tods'. The idea is, we think, that a 1-year-old isn't a baby any more but isn't really a toddler either.

We'd love to know what you think of the term 'pre-tod'Do you like it? Would you use it? Do you think there's a need for a term for the stage between 'baby' and 'toddler'?

Or, if you get what the US mums mean but don't like 'pre-tod', what would you call a child in that in-betweeny stage? 

Do let us know by posting a reply to this thread. We’d love to hear what you think. 

Replies

• I love this term!!!

I will defiantly be hash tagging #pretod when my son turns one on Instagram.

I agree wholeheartedly that a 1 year old is not a toddler yet and is still a baby in so many aspects.

X

• I don't think they need that term really because I think they need a term for the age between toddlerhood and starting school. Age 2.5 - 4 they are still quite babyish in some ways and some are still throwing tantrums i like the term threenager though.. 

• Whoops it posted before I edited the first bit I think that age are still babies X 

• Personally I'd say they are still babies until 18 months and then I'd call them toddlers from there no need for something in between

• I think it's ridiculous personally. I think they're babies until they're toddling which is different for all babies obviously, I found it emotional enough saying I didn't have a baby anymore first time round and don't want to rush to do it again aNd use a stupid  inbetween phrase!