Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Can a painful ultrasound cause a miscarriage

Two weeks ago, I went for my 18 week ultrasound. The tech was nice except when she did my ultrasound she was pushing so hard on my stomach that even though I wanted to scream in agony, I kept it to myself and I didn't say anything. She was having a hard time seeing certain things she was looking for like the brain and something else. 

A couple of days ago I had some light bleeding and cramps(period like). I let my OBGYN know and she said before I see her today August 22 she wants me to have an ultrasound to check on the baby. I went and the most horrible news of my life, she couldn't see a heartbeat and neither could I. 

Two weeks ago the baby's heart rate was 164bpm and now nothing and there was swelling near the baby's head and the chest may have been crushed. My question is very quite simple, could the ultrasound I had two weeks ago have anything to do with this and do I have a case?

I was told it could be a number of reasons, but I didn't think of the painful last ultrasound I had until now b/c I was taking care of myself, I don't drink, do drugs I'm not supposed to, and was gestational diabetic but watching my diet and testing like I was supposed to. I was told the baby's heart could have stopped, my sugars might have been too high at times and the baby couldn't take it, or other reasons she didn't mention. Now this would've been my 3rd girl and now I'm devastated b/c I have to get a DNC to remove her. I had a name picked out for her and everyone was so happy another baby in the family including my 5 and 7 year old. 

Has this ever happened to anyone else before?

Replies

• I don't know anything about ultrasounds but I didn't want to read and run. What you've been through is horrible and I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you find some proper answers for what happened. x

• It is possible if the pain was that extreme BUT expect them to query why you didn't raise the issue at the time if you do decide to follow up on it.

Big hugs & if you are brave enough to, you may want to ask for your records to be discussed in detail.

• Hey sweet I don't know the answer about the ultrasound. But I can't see how gestational diabetes could cause baby chest to be crushed. Could you opt for a post mortem if you feel strongly about wanting to know what happened? I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. Hugs xx

• I know this is an old post but this happened to me as well... I went in for my 20 week ultrasound everything was fine with baby except the u/s lady was pressing super hard bringing me to tears. Week later I went to my OB and my baby had died. His head was also swollen. At the time I was so devastated I never thought about it so never brought it up to my ob. But came on here to see if this has happened to anyone else...