Forum home Toddlers & older children Potty training

Going backwards

Just wondered if anyone can help.

Kayleigh has been potty trained (dry during the day) since the beginning of March but over the last few days has started to poo in her knickers (even at school)which is really odd as she's had no problems going in the toilet.

Anyone have any hints or tips as to how i can stop this??

Nothing odd has happened over the last few weeks or any changes so i just dont get it really.

Thanks

Replies

• HI HUN

WELL BELIEVE IT OR NOT WE HAD THE SAME THING WITH OUR 3 YR OLD SON CHARLIE AND HE'S BEEN POTTY TRAINED SINCE LAST YEAR SO IT WAS A BIG SHOCK WHEN HE STARTED DOIN IT A FEW WEEKS BACK

WHEN HE DID IT AT FIRST I TRIED NOT TO MAKE A FUSS BECAUSE THEY SAY GIVING THEM ATTENTION ONLY MAKES THEM DO IT MORE, SO I WOULD JUST TAKE HIM TO THE TOILET CLEAN HIM UP AND SEND HIM ON HIS WAY, BUT THEN THAT DIDNT SEEM TO WORK SO I BEGAN TELLING HIM OFF AND SITTING HIM IN TIME OUT AFTER I'D CLEANED HIM UP AND THAT SEEMED TO WORK. ALSO WE DID A STICKER CHART TO WITH A FEW THINGS ON ONE OF THEM INCLUDING KEEPING HIS PANTS CLEAN AND DRY AND SINCE THEN HE'S BEEN FINE

TO BE HONEST I THINK ITS JUST A PHASE THEY GO THROUGH BUT A VERY UNPLEASENT ONE FOR US LOL, JUST TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND EITHER IGNORE HER WHEN SHE DOES IT OR SHOW HER THAT YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH HER POOING IN HER PANTS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

HOPE THIS HELPS

GOOD LUCK

TAKE CARE

ZOE XX

• Hi Zoe,

Thanks for the reply.

We went back to basics with lots of praise and a small treat and it seems to have worked - fingers crossed!
  • wow. This is like reading my own post!!! lol

My 3 yr old Son, Charlie is doing exacty the same. He was fine to start but now he either poo's his pants, goes n hides to do it or holds it in for days to the point of being in pain when finally going!!!

I have heard they can go backwards but never experienced this with my 1st. Maybe I should think about a sticker chart too!

good luck x

• I know its not easy but try to be patient and maybe even try things like the basic again. It worked with Kayleigh so fingers crossed in a few weeks Charlie will be back to normal image