Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding

Making baby wait for a feed

Hi just looking for some advice about breastfeeding my 9 week old dd.

Today she fed on and off for about an hour and a half then had a half an hour nap. Normally I would change he nappy then feed her within 20mins of waking, but today it was an hour after she woke up. She only fed for 5 mins then fell asleep. I feel really bad as if I had fed her sooner then she may have managed to eat more. But if she was really hungry then would she actually have stayed awake to eat?

I just don't know what I'm doing as she is my first child, I have been trying to feed on demand as I feel thats best but I still worry that I'm not doing what's best for my baby and she will suffer.

Sorry if this seems a bit rambling, she is gaining weight well but I still stress about it.

Replies

• Breastfeeding is a total minefield and you definitely have to guess your way through it at the beginning. 

Generally speaking as long as baby is having plenty of wet nappies and is gaining weight then trust yourself that you are doing things right.  

All babies feed for different lengths of time and different frequencies. You'll also probably find as she gets older her feeds will become quicker and more spaced out as she'll become more skilled at getting the milk out and your boobs will become used to the routine and milk will settle. 

Please trust yourself and your boobs because it sounds like you are doing an amazing job and your daughter is thriving. Keep it up mum! X

• @Scorie congrats and really admire mums that opt to breastfeed. It isn't always easy to achieve this you are doing a fab job

We always worry about our milk output and also worry when the feed for a short duration as opposed to an hour etc. I am glad she is gaining weight. 

My son never fed for an hour and he is currently on the 91st centile for weight. I agree with @Purplestar each child feeds for different length and frequencies some more at night some more during the day etc.

We fed on demand and I think it works out a lot better by the time he is 16 weeks you will notice a pattern to it. It tends to be more during a growth spurt.

Your boobs were designed for this role and from what I hear you are doing a fab job as long as you are getting wet nappies try not to worry.  

This website is fab for all breastfeeding related questions.I will highly recommend http://kellymom.com/category/bf/

• Thanks Fludu and Purple Star.

It's lovely to get reassurance that I'm doing ok😊. We get plenty of wet and dirty nappies and she is generally a very happy baby, except for early evenings which I'm hoping she will grow out of soon!

I'm really enjoying breastfeeding which I never thought I would, just wish that boobs had a gauge on them sometimes so you could see how much they are eating😀

• @Scorie. I am glad was able to help. The early evenings gets better. I found once daytime naps improved and he had a sleep pattern, he was less fussy unless he was overtired.

This is when I used my baby sling/wrap the most.