Forum home Family life & relationships Health & fitness

I don’t know how to lose weight after birth ?

Hi ladies, 

I started working 3 months after birth, and I dont have much time to workout, especially during the work days, the time I come back home from work the gym is already closed, and I dont have the motivation to workout by myself at home. 

Does anybody have good experience with video tutorials, or have some advice? 

Replies

• You could try exercising during the tv adverts. Do anything. Bottom wiggles, star jumps, jogging on the spot, step ups on the bottom stair, just raise the heart rate. After a few days of doing that u might find yrself planning it and getting motivated might be easier. Just dnt overdo it without warming up.

That's how I kick started my weight loss. I went from a 14 to an 8 without trying just because I started moving around a LOT more. I used to wiggle my bum doing the dishes, do random bursts of energy like a minute of star jumps, and dance with the baby. I would skip outside in the tv breaks. So, really, I was getting lots of very short amounts of exercising during the day. I lost 4 lbs one week even though I had homemade lasagne and deep fried chips two days in a row. X
  • Thanks Samantha I will give it a go image

Hope to get results soon

• I think personal trainer is most effective way to loose weight and to maintain motivation. If you can spare some money, they are worth every penny. At least for me.... 

• Hey! whatever it is, please do not diet. Dieting is not the option for breastfeeding mothers. Choose foods that are heavy in the nutrients you need and light in calories and fat.Drinking plenty of water throughout the day prevents you from getting dehydrated. It also fills you up so that you don't eat as much.You don't have to hit the gym to get back in shape after pregnancy -- taking a brisk walk with your baby in the stroller is enough to get your heart pumping and muscles working...

• After you deliver, you will slowly lose weight. You may want to speed things along by working with your doctor to set a safe, reasonable goal. A good rule of thumb is to lose no more than one and a half pounds per week (that is, a calorie deficit of 3,500 to 5,250 calories per week, or 500 to 750 a day). While many new mothers ditch the bulk of their pregnancy pounds by baby’s 6-month birthday, everyone sheds weight at their own pace. Many factors have been proven to affect your weight loss journey — including your age (your metabolism slows down by about 2 percent every decade after age 25, so you burn fewer calories at rest as you age), your diet (when you eat more protein than carbs and eat larger meals earlier in the day, your body burns more calories and works more efficiently), activity level (the more you move, the more calories you burn), and your natural metabolism, which is determined by your genes. Keep in mind, too, if you gained more than 35 pounds during your pregnancy, it could take extra time (from 10 months to two years) to bounce back.

• You can make time table for this.Fix one hour from your daily work.Otherwise I think personal trainer is most effective way to loose weight and to maintain motivation.

• Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 

• Hi, just thought I'd pop in and suggest slimming world to you. I'm 16 weeks and following their healthy eating plans, they are endorsed in our area by the gp and also by the midwifery council.

They have plans for pregnancy and breastfeeding moms to ensure you get all the nutrients you should get. 

A weekly meeting is friendly and great place to swap ideas and recipies and it shows results and meet others in similar situations ....have a look online  to see if would suit you x its not a diet its a path to healthier options and meals so no calorie counting !!!

Its easy to follow and like I said shows results for the members x good luck x

• I agree with Vicky. Personal trainers are the best solution. I struggled a lot and only managed to loose weight in this way. I guess it also depends on how much motivation you need. I could't afford spending couple hundreds monthly on personal trainer but now there are these live-streaming personal trainings so it's much cheaper and actually doable :D

• I'm using a lot of different dvds but I'm not sure if I would particularly recommend any of them. I use them pretty randomly. No strings attached lol. Antonina, what are these live-streaming personal trainings that you talk about? I've never heard of it.

• Live- streaming personal training means you get your own personal trainer that matches your needs and train with him/her through the webcam. It's great and very convenient! I'm not sure if it's new but I know only a few of them. I use f-angels.com. You can try it for free and see if you like it. It costs no more than a monthly gym membership.

Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.

Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.

• I would say that you may try to find someone which is in a similar situation and work out together :) nothing really difficult - fast walks at the beginning will do the job and maybe try to walk to work as well. Or at least get off the bus 2-3m stops before and walk the rest of the road :)

• Sports and proper nutrition. I'm more than a year can not lose weight (

• Post deleted by MadeForMums. Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.

• Honestly, I was not successful in losing weight however I blame the lack of discipline in me :) I believe we are not the same so my advice to you is every free time you have do some easy exercises and try to run whenever you can. Take the stairs instead of the elevator and walk instead of taking the cab. Good luck!