Forum home General Chat General chat

How big of an age gap between children do you have?

my son is 5months old and me and my partner do want another child in the future but we don’t know how’s long to leave the age gap between them we don’t want my son to be under 1 when i get pregnant again as I think it would be to close 

what age gaps do your children have between each of them? 

Replies

• I have a 20 month gap between my children. I conceived my 2nd child the week my 1st turned 1yr. We hadn't intentionally created that small a gap but we decided to go with the 'see what happens' attitude after my first was born because we had taken 14 months to conceive her.

• How did you find having a toddler and a newborn?

• There is 4.5 years between my two girls. I found it has its pros and cons like all age gaps. It’s findkng what suits you best tbh. 

Pros For me: oldest at school so time alone with baby, oldest quote independent so able to help / entertains self whilst I attend to baby. Had long time with oldest on her own.

cons for me: my oldest suffered jealousy quite badly as she had been alone so long. Schools runs with a new baby can be difficult in the beginning. tiredness and looking after an older child isnt easy. going back to newborn phase after having some independence back yourself lol.

my sister in law had 11months between hers, unintentionally, but her two grew up like twins and she was in the baby stage all at once. She was in a trance for 2 years I think haha.

good luck deciding xx

• That’s what in i want to avoid is the jealousy and get baby stage done at once 🤔 

• I have a 3 year old and me and my husband are just about to start trying for another. Since my little boy was about 1 we have talked of having another but I was always waiting for the ‘perfect time’ but I have come to realise that there is no perfect time! Now I wonder if I have left it too long?! There is a 6 year age gap between myself and my brother, it was great when I was growing up but when he hit 13 and I was only 7 it became abit strained for a while. 

• There’s 4.5 years between me and my sister and we hated it because she was older and I was a lot younger so we couldn’t go out together and things until I was old enough

ive come off the pill so hoping it doesn’t take to long my son is now 6 months so would be a good age gap if I got caught straight away but I doubt it will happen that fast As it took 18 months to conceive my son 

• Hi there. I am going to answer your question from a general view. Many parents tend to leave a gap of approximately three years. Others maybe two others maybe four or five. This is the ideal gap. When children tend to be so close then as a parent you are going to get worked out. If one child seems to have a lot of responsibilities. You can then think of adding another child even when the other one is not old enough. You will also be facing challenges with how the children interact. The first child was used of the attention. When a second child comes in he/she will tend to be jealous. I have experiences of children fighting over toys just because both of them feel they deserve it. When a second child comes in when the other is matured enough then this will not be happening. I also know of parents who have 20 years age gap between their children. What I don't understand is whether the last children were not planned for or what. Anyway, that can be a discussion for another day.

• I am going to answer your question from a general view. Many parents tend to leave a gap of approximately three years. Others maybe two others maybe four or five. This is the ideal gap. When children tend to be so close then as a parent you are going to get worked out. If one child seems to have a lot of responsibilities. You can then think of adding another child even when the other one is not old enough. You will also be facing challenges with how the children interact. The first child was used of the attention. When a second child comes in he/she will tend to be jealous. I have experiences of children fighting over toys just because both of them feel they deserve it. When a second child comes in when the other is matured enough then this will not be happening. I also know of parents who have 20 years age gap between their children. What I don't understand is whether the last children were not planned for or what. Anyway, that can be a discussion for another day.

• There's 11 months gap between my daughter and my son, she's 3 and he's 2. It's hard work but they have the most amazing bond and it's lovely to watch them play and talk to eachother. 

• 9 years here! 😬😮

• Between my siblings...

5 years my sister and I

10 years my middle brother and I

and 14 years between myself and my youngest brother..

Same M&D - This seems to be a common question :)