Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Interested in your views on 'boys bits'!!!

Morning all

After watching the 'Sex Education Show' quite a lot recently and therefore seeing lots of picture of 'boys bits', I am curious to know what we all think about the 'protective raincover thingy' that men have! Sorry I can't bring myself to say the word, you know what I mean!!!! :lol:

I've been with my hubby for nearly 6yrs now and he doesn't have one. Suffice to say I am used to that and have to say, compared to experiences with ex boyfriends, I really rather like it that way. It kind of freaked me out seeing willies with them on the TV show - have to say I found them quite ugly looking (not that they are handsome generally!!!) and therefore found myself feeling quite lucky that my hubby doesn't have one. Without one, it just seems so much more hygienic to me and definitely nicer looking!

(Sorry am I sharing too much here???!!!)

It got me thinking, do people still make the decision for their children at a young age to remove it? Would any of you? (Ignoring religious reasons I suppose).

Hubby had his 'taken care of' when he was 5 or 6yrs old - after a routine check up, the Dr said it was too tight (ick sorry again TMI!!!) and to save him problems later in life, it'd be a good idea to get rid. So his parents made that decision. Clearly he's never known any different and can honestly say it doesn't bother him. He doesn't feel 'any less manly' or anything - its normal to him.

I'm just really curious what you all think. Are there still people these days who would make that decision or is that way way old fashioned now and you just wouldn't do it? (apart from religions of course which I totally understand).

Would LOVE to hear what you all think!

xxx

Replies

• I've never seen one without in person so I can only say that I like what I'm used!

I suppose (tmi) OH likes it moved, so to speak, during sex, and it feels an intimate thing to do for him.

I just don't think I'd want my child to have it removed unless there were medical reasons - it seems a bit callous to me. Like docking the tails on animals!
  • i say that unless it needs doing then best left alone. why put child through something that is unecessary and painful. even for religious reasons mostly nowadays its becoming less common.
    i have a little boy and never had any trouble keeping it clean and def wont be thinking of circumcision with next one unless its for medical reasons
    Filo x
  • I meant to add - I find it fascinating that in America, they are the total opposite - to them it is weird for boys/men to keep them!!! The 'norm' for them is to not have one!!!

Also, I'm not saying I am thinking about making this decision for my baby (if its a boy) - am just really curious (fascinated too) what other people think of them / the decision to remove them!

xxx
  • Men were born with them for a reason, so unless there is a medical reason for them to go they should stay in my opinion. x
  • I think that it is something that they boy/man should decide when their at an age to do so. I personally would never do 'that' to my lil man, its there for a reason!! If however there were medical reasons why it HAD to be done that that would be a different matter. I do know a man who I used to work with and he was very open about it and said he much prefers it, he was 'done' at 17 and for hygeine reasons its a lot better. He also said that many women actually preferred it?! Anyhoo............LOL!! Thats just my opinion!!

Garfield
    39+2

XX
  • My lil man had his removed when he was 6 because he had real problems with going to toilet and getting up in the morning(tmi if you know what i mean!) but it wasnt a very pleasant experience he was very very sore for about 4 days after with medication,then he was spraying when peeing it was likea little sprinkler!bless him.
    Dh thought they had done it wrong but when i took him back after a week for his check up apparently not this is what happens?
    I personally wouldnt touch what nature intended but if theres problems theres no other way ,i just wonder how they did it years ago when medicine was not advanced or even before? makes my eyes water thinking about it!image
  • Just gatecrashing from baby forum. I thought about this with my LO, as my hubby had his removed at 31 as it was too tight and they cut an artery and sent him home and we woke up to blood soaked sheets and a very poorly hubby. We were in A&E and they had put him in the minor section. Nobody came to check it, so I got a dr and she said "oh it's not bleeding that much or his clothes would be soaked", so I pulled back the incontinence pad i'd put on him and it was spurting everywhere. So I didn't want my LO going through the same, and would rather he had it done at birth to save complications if this was hereditary. Luckily though we were told it is not. Prefer hubbys how it is now though to be honest, although no time to use it! Lol (tmi!)

xxx
  • Just gatecrashing from baby forum. I thought about this with my LO, as my hubby had his removed at 31 as it was too tight and they cut an artery and sent him home and we woke up to blood soaked sheets and a very poorly hubby. We were in A&E and they had put him in the minor section. Nobody came to check it, so I got a dr and she said "oh it's not bleeding that much or his clothes would be soaked", so I pulled back the incontinence pad i'd put on him and it was spurting everywhere. So I didn't want my LO going through the same, and would rather he had it done at birth to save complications if this was hereditary. Luckily though we were told it is not. Prefer hubbys how it is now though to be honest, although no time to use it! Lol (tmi!)

xxx

Rebecca, do you know if it can be heritidary? (sp!) I didn't think of that if we have a little boy?......

Joo xxx
  • Gatecrashing again! The worst thing about my job(elderly care nurse)is cleaning under old men's 'hoods'!!!!!
  • never seen one with out. but i like it the way it is.
    i already have a son and another on the way, and unless for medical reasons i wouldnt let anyone touch it.
  • Isn't it funny how we feel because of our experience (that's the impression I get anyway).

I don't like them with, because I have mainly been used to them without!!!

Many of you say the opposite!

Joo xxx
  • I'm rather torn about this. My husband was circumcised at 3 or 4 under general anesthetic for medical reasons. He doesn't remember the actual operation, but does remember how uncomfortable the bandages were. My brother was circumcised at birth (as you say, Joo, it is standard practice in the US) and has no memory of the experience at all. I have no idea if tight foreskin has a genetic component, but if it is going to be done, I would far, far rather a son of mine had it done at birth rather than later when it has the potential to be more memorable and therefore more traumatic.

My husband also claims that, from what he understands, it is easier for him to keep himself clean - although quite who he discussed this with I am not sure! :lol: On its own, I'm not convinced that this is enough of a reason to have it done, but the tight foreskin issue does concern me...
  • Hi Joo, we were told it shouldn't have any effect on our son having the same problem, but that we could get him referred if it did happen. So I guess they don't really know and only time will tell. Fingers crossed he's ok though, but if not I would have it done asap rather than him have it when he's older as hubby found it very humiliating to have people looking at it all the time (let alone what happened after op). Think it gave him more empathy when I was in labour though as he knew what it felt like to have people prodding and be in pain, lol.

xxx
  • Thanks Rebecca, guess we will wait and see - we might not even be having a boy!!!

Hubby and I both agree though, if it is medical, we will have no hesitation. Hubby says its not affected his life in ANY way at all - not with girls, not with 'lads in the showers at school' - not anything. Suppose he could be a lucky one tho...

I suppose people just go imageimageimage at the size of it and not notice anything is missing!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Thank you for all contributing to my thread, its just been something that I have been curious about really - thank you for not flaming me for bringing the subject up and for possibly having different views than some of you!

Joo xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • This is such an interesting one!! with lots of opinons

Just thought i would share my experience of what happened with my son,soon to be 5. He was born with a very minor hyperspadis, this is a condition where there is a problem with the ureathra (wee tube) as it forms in utero.
    Apparantly the 'bits' are all flat in early pregnancy whilst in the womb as boys and girls develop from the same bits so to speak. In men ovarian tissue drops and becomes testicles and the skin forms a penis and in girls it remains high and ovaries and vagina form.
    well, men oftern look like they have 'seam' running up the underside of there bits and this is where the penis has come together during development around the wee tube.
    In my sons case this seam didn't join up right on the tip, but rather a bit off centre on the underside. There are cases where the hole for weeing is halfway up (more serious)
    An off shoot for my son was that his foreskin didn't join up. he had to have some surgery on his hyperspadis and had a circumsision at a young age, he was about 18 months old. i am glad that he had this done early as i don't believe he has any recollection of this and now that he is at school he will be more normal.

I would not of had it done on him had there not been a medical condition, but now i am happy to say that all is well!

Lainer
  • Lainer -

thats exactly what Ollie has!!!!
    his tube finishes about 3/4 of the way up, and as such his foreskin is bunched up on top of his willy, and is pretty messy looking.

we've been told that he will need it done, but they are arguing that they dont want to do it till he is over the age of 10, and we want it done sooner rather than later....

xxx