Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

anyone measured behind and needed a growth scan?

Also in baby:

Hi all,

Im 36+4 but im now measuring 2cm behind. Im being sent for a growth scan next week. Just wondered if anyone has measured behind and what the scan showed? Thanks xx

Replies

• I was measuring 5 weeks behind. They did the growth scan and just confirmed it is a little baby and they'll scan me again about two weeks to make sure baby is still growing. Its nothing to worry about. To be honest only measuring two weeks behind is nothing to be concerned most hospitals won't scan until its 3+ weeks behind. Worst case scenario is that they may say time for baby to come out and induce you.

You'll be fine don't worry
  • Thanks Daisybell xx
  • Hi haven't experienced this personally but my cousin had this with both of hers. She had to have a scan every week for the last few weeks and it was explained to her that if they felt there was any problems after each scan then there was a possibility she could be induced. The problem with her was that she has such a small frame that the babies physically just didn't have any room to grow anymore. As it happens she went to full term and has a very healthy 6 and 4 year old now!!

Hope this helps a little !

Sarah
    10 weeks today xx
  • Thanks Sarah, im 5ft 2 with a small frame so that may well explain it!x
  • Hey pixiebob

Is this the measurement they take with the tape measure on your bump?

I ask because I am currently measuring nearly 3 weeks behind with those, yet as you know, I have had several growth scans, where it shows that the gremlin is exactly on the 50th centile for the head and abdomen measurements - her legs are another story - measuring 3 weeks ahead, but I'm a tall bird!!

Hope this helps to ease your worry a little bit - it seems to get worse as the weeks go on doesn't it?

C xxx
  • I have the exact opposite problem - I am measuring ahead and have been told I'm likely to have a big baby. I think my dates are out by about a week which explains it to some degree, but it's also likely he's just going to be big (i don't have gestational diabetes or anything). This has been confirmed by two scans and bump measurements. Personally I think babies just develop at slightly different rates so try not to worry about it.
  • Hey! i'm the opposite of you, i'm 30+4 but i'm actually measuring 2cm ahead of what they say i am! cos i've got to have a another scan at 34wks for growth and the fact that i've got a higher BMI and i'm on clexane injections too! so i'm as confused as you are!! does this mean that i'm actually 32+4? or am i having a bigger baba this time?? :lol:
  • il b having growth scans- i think its incase i decide i want 2 try natural birth, and 2 mk sure baby isnt do big 2 do so..... thy didnt really explain....
  • I measured behind with my first pregnancy from about 24 weeks. At one point I was measuring 4 weeks behind. Turns out that I had an ineffective placenta, so my daughter wasn't receiving enough nutrients and I was induced with my DD at nearly 39 weeks. This time I'm spot on, but still have to have growth scans at 28, 32 and 36 weeks.

G.x 27+2
  • I measured behind with my first pregnancy from about 24 weeks. At one point I was measuring 4 weeks behind. Turns out that I had an ineffective placenta, so my daughter wasn't receiving enough nutrients and I was induced with my DD at nearly 39 weeks. This time I'm spot on, but still have to have growth scans at 28, 32 and 36 weeks.

G.x 27+2
  • hello, dont worry i had a growth sacn on monday, i was measuring 4 weeks behind and the baby is 6 pounds 2 ounces, now i am 36 weeks , , my bump was measuring small at 29 weeks but on my last check it had grown to 35 weeks, which was on monday,
    at 29 weeks i measured 32 weeks, but babies grow at different sprurts, my friend had a growth scan the week before me as she was 6 weeks behind, but the baby has grown 4 inches in 2 weeks, so they soon catch up, if they were overly concerned they would have sent you for an emergency scan straight away, hope this puts your mind at rest, i know i really worried, x