Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Feeling down...

Hi Everyone

I've just got back from the docs and I've been signed off for a fortnight. I'm getting a lot of pain bith back pain and across my pelvis and shooting down my legs(I've got joint problems anyway and pregnancy is obviously not helping) and tension headaches caused by being in pain (blinking typical!!!). I've got a referral to a physio but no idea when that will be. The doctor was talking about either being off sick til mat leave (I'm only 21 weeks) or dropping my hours or starting mat leave early at 28 weeks.

Now I don't know what to do - If I drop my hours I'll get less pay and also less maternity pay, I don't want to start mat leave early coz I'll have less time off with the baby but I can't see work letting me be off sick all that time - I've no idea how much sick pay I get either!

I'm not getting any sleep - pain is driving me looney and it looks like I either have to lose a ton of money or time with my lo - arrrrgggghhhhhhh.

So I'm feeling a bit emotional (probably hormones mixed with lack of sleep) - I probably just need to stop feeling sorry for myself and get on with it!!!!!
(Sorry for the long rant)
xxx

Replies

• hi,

you should check with your boss/payroll dept/hr when you're 'qualifying period' was - this is the time period set by legislation that must be used to calculate your statutory maternity pay. Once you've gone past that period you should be able to drop your hours without it affecting your maternity pay!

You could also tell you're boss that your docs want to sign you off but 'you dont want to let them down' and see if you could have an arrangement where you reduce your hours and get sick pay for the rest (this will only work if you're entitled to company sick pay and not just statutory sick pay).

Hope you feel better soon!
  • Thanks girls - That's a really good idea gr2007, i'll look into it. Thanks brodiesmum - I will. xxx
  • I can sympathise with you. As I am only going oin 14 weeks and have been to the doctor today and I too have SPD(I think that's what they call it) when the hormone is released earlier and stronger and softens the pelvic bones.

The pain actually wakes me at night in my hips the most. Stairs are a mission. And I work for Adecco so get now sick pay.And I need to recruit days to have payed holiday leave for christams. And that is not all the days either. Its not my fault the comany closes for that long. I'm so annoyed. I have almost no benefiots working for an employment agency.

So I am in the same boat of either not having enough money or having less time. As I need to have worked fora certain time for a company. It really does suck. I was crying allot last night about all of it. And of course the pain makes me cry too.

Whoever said this was easy??
  • Thanks tashy - it's nice to have someone to share everything with. I know I should just be grateful that my lo is on her way - but it's not always so easy not to let things get you down! Hope you feel better hun, have you got a physio appointment?? xxx
  • Thanks tashy - it's nice to have someone to share everything with. I know I should just be grateful that my lo is on her way - but it's not always so easy not to let things get you down! Hope you feel better hun, have you got a physio appointment?? xxx
  • Urg....they never refered me early enough so I have not heard from a MW or anyone. They have re refered me.
    So in answer to your question I'm not sure when I will be seeing a physio.

I wish I wasnt giving birth in London. People seem to know less of what they are bloody doing. I pity the poor soul in the same delivery room.

If I'm anything like my mother was. Then they will all be sworn at.
  • Aw sorry to hear that hun. I know it's not much consolation but you do get 9 months paid maternity leave now so if you do leave early you'll still have 6 months with baby. I finished at 32 weeks and I've just had my last wage- Lily is 7 months.

Have you already filled in your mat b1 and picked your dates for maternity leave? I can't remember when you do it but I don't think they can change the amount they pay you once you've handed it in. Mind you if you're off sick near the end they can start your maternity leave instead of giving sick pay.

Must be awful being in so much pain and I bet you're dead worried about work but try and look after yourself as much as you can and talk things through with your hubby. I'm thinking of you and sending you big hugs. xxx