Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hospital Bags

I am starting to organise my hospital bags by getting little bits here and there. I was thinking one bag for labour, and another with baby stuff.

For those who have their bags packed, or anyone who is already a Mummy, what went in your bag? What wasn't on all the checklists that you can google, but came in really handy? What quantities of baby things did you take?

Thanks ladies

Cate

22+6

Replies

• Ooh - good questions ! I'm thinking of getting a nice Longchamps bag ... my friend treated herself to one as her hospital bag !
  • ok, this is what is mine:

For me:
    Dressing gown
    Slippers
    2 Open front nighties / pjs
    Old shirt of my husbands (to wear while in labour / giving birth)
    Mini toiletries
    Comfortable clothes (to wear home)
    2 Nursing bras
    Breast pads
    Maternity pads (2 packs)
    Dark towel
    Hairbrush and hair bands
    Toothpaste/toothbrush
    5 pairs disposable knickers
    Flannel
    Kandoo type wipes (instead of toilet paper)
    Baby Book
    Snacks / water / straws
    Lansinoh nipple cream
    Wash bag for dirty clothes
    Hospital notes
    Hypnobirthing folder
    Ipod & speakers & headphones plus spare batteries
    Camera
    Book or magazine for hubby
    Magicool spray
    Handheld battery operated fan
    Make up

For Baby
    4 Sleepsuits (2 newborn size, 2 0-3 months as my baby is measuring large)
    4 Vests (2 newborn, 2 0-3 months)
    Blanket
    Nappies (10)
    Hat
    Cardigan
    2 Muslin cloths
    Cotton wool (about 1/3 of a bag - what was left after I'd dispensed some into a container in my changing unit)
    Nappy bags (just a few, not the whole pack)
    Baby wipes
    Car seat (obviously not in the bag!!)

I am 41 weeks today so just waiting to put it to good use now!
  • Hi, i think this is basically everything you will need.

General:

Change for the car park (easy to forget in the rush)!
    Maternity Notes...Quite important to remember!
    For Labour:

Birth Plan
    Dressing Gown
    Slippers
    Socks - in case you get cold feet in labour!
    T-Shirt - to wear for the birth
    Massage Oil - optional
    Labour 'energiser'
    Snacks/Drinks
    Energy Sweets
    Watch - to time contractions
    Camera
    Books/Mags/Music - to pass the time
    Tens Machine
    Toiletries
    Water Spray Bottle - cool yourself down
    CD/MP3 Player (battery, not mains operated) - favourite tunes make labour more bearable!
    Small Sponge - great for taking small sips of water & to cool down with
    Flannel - get your birth partner to mop your brow!
    Hair Brush
    Hair Bands
    Hair clips
    Water - small bottles are easier to sip from
    Antenatal Notes
    Bach Rescue Remedy - for times of crisis
    Birth Ball - some labour wards provide them
    For Birth Partner

Change of Clothes
    Snacks & Drinks
    For After the Birth:

Going home outfit (someone can always bring that in for you later)
    Knickers - disposable or cheap cotton 'big pants'
    Nursing Bras - best to get properly fitted in late pregnancy
    Breast Pads
    Maternity Pads - take a couple of packs & have someone bring in more if need be
    Nightdress that's suitable for breastfeeding (more comfy than PJs if you have stitches)
    Dressing Gown, lightweight - hospitals are hot!
    Shampoo
    Conditioner
    Cleanser/Toner/Moisturiser
    Shower Gel
    Deodorant - hospitals are hot!
    Soap
    Hand Cream
    Towels - ones that don't matter, dark colours are good!
    Hairbrush
    Toothbrush & Toothpaste
    Arnica - helps with possible bruising
    Lavender Oil - a few drops in your bath can help healing and also relax you
    Tea Tree Oil - a few drops in your bath can help healing
    Nipple cream - well worth packing!
    Cosmetics (if you can't bear the thought of being seen 'au naturel').
    Favourite breakfast cereal/ tea bags
    Fruit juice/mineral water - all optional
    Tissues
    Inflatable Feeding Pillow
    Ear plugs - in case you find yourself with the only sleeping baby on a noisy ward!
    Small plastic jug - some people swear by it....perhaps best not to ask why beforehand!
    For Baby:

Car Seat
    One outfit for going home
    Babygros/sleepsuits - 3 or 4
    Baby bundlers/gowns - great for night time nappy changes
    Baby Bodysuits/Vests 3 or 4
    Blanket 1 or 2
    Nappies - maybe 5 or 6
    Socks- 1 or 2 pairs
    Hat - 1
    Muslin Squares- 2 or 3
    Baby Nail Scissors & clippers - babies nails can be surprisingly long at birth
    Cotton Wool balls....you'll be surprised how many you get through
    Nappy Sacks - degradable or non-degradable. How eco friendly do you want to be?
    Nappy Cream
    Baby Wipes - organic or not (useful to freshen up yourself, if not baby)!
    Scratch Mittens
    Bottles if required/milk - if not breastfeeding

hope this helps

XxXxX 35+4
  • Those lists are very comprehensive and I think I had all of the above in mine, and probably used about half of it !! The only other thing I would say is slippers for on the ward and plastic flip flops for in the shower.
    Loads of maternity pads, hubby was sent ot Boots cos I'd seriously underestimated how many you would need.
    Don't take too much though as there really isn't enough room for it al in your wee cubicle or room. S x
  • Oh wow, they are fab lists ladies! Sooo many things I hadn't thought of!

A bit intrigued as to what the jug is for now!
  • for pouring over you lady bits as you pee coz apparently it hurts (i had section)

also a pen and paper for noting down contraction length, food choices etc and our hospital is always short of pillows.

But dont go in with loads of cases or one so big you cant move it, as there is often no room and ive found you dont need loads, i packed a couple of bags and left them in the car, then i just had to tell dh to go and get the red one etc

xxDBxx
  • If you're planning on using gas and air then pop some Vaseline in your labour bag, as I found it really dries your lips out.

How exciting, I remember packing mine. Think I packed it at 20 weeks - nothing like being prepared!

Hannah xx
  • i couldnt have got through labour twice without red bull!!!!
    vicky xx
    19 weeks
  • The things that I was told to take that are often not on lists are flip flops for the shower, anti bac wipes for wiping down your table thing etc and the anti bac creme for your hands as the dispensers in the hosp may be empty. Im allergic to the hospital stuff anyway but not the ones with moisteriser in. I used all these things when I went in last time.

I have scaled my bag right down to the minimum as last time there wasnt a lot of room to store stuff at the hospital. If all goes well, you could be out in 6 hours after birth anyway. Im having an elective section this time and am only taking a sports bag for me. I have packed a few carrier bags with seperate towels, pjs etc in to leave at home, and I will tell Ben what to bring in for me each day. If you take tonnes you can guarantee that you will only use a 1/4 of it. Good luck xxx

• The things that I was told to take that are often not on lists are flip flops for the shower, anti bac wipes for wiping down your table thing etc and the anti bac creme for your hands as the dispensers in the hosp may be empty. Im allergic to the hospital stuff anyway but not the ones with moisteriser in. I used all these things when I went in last time.

I have scaled my bag right down to the minimum as last time there wasnt a lot of room to store stuff at the hospital. If all goes well, you could be out in 6 hours after birth anyway. Im having an elective section this time and am only taking a sports bag for me. I have packed a few carrier bags with seperate towels, pjs etc in to leave at home, and I will tell Ben what to bring in for me each day. If you take tonnes you can guarantee that you will only use a 1/4 of it. Good luck xxx

• Definitly only a very light dressing gown-I did not use mine at all even thuogh I bought it especially for the hospital-but it was boiling hot all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • i didnt read all the replies so if someones already mentioned these then i am sorry!
    wet toilet wipes as you bleed loads after and they really helped me keep clean down there. also really good sanitary towels. i bought maternity pads from boots and they were awful i leaked everywhere. mum bought me some night time always in and they were brilliant as longer and stoped any embarrassing mess!
    xxxx
  • can i add, lucazade, snacks for hubby, straws (make drinking much easier), warm socks, list of people to contact, towel to sit on in car (leaky waters)

can i also recommend giving spare key/instructions to someone you trust if you have pets etc (you dont know how long you'll be away for, my hubby couldnt pop home as i was critical in hdu after 37 hour labour!) just in case.
  • Can I be really ignorant and ask why would you need flip flops for the shower? Sorry, if I've missed something obvious xx
  • for hygeine (lots of ladies leaking mess, sorry tmi) and help to walk without slipping (shower might be walk away). I coudnt fit in slippers with swollen feet.
  • OMG that's gross, surely it would be cleaned thoroughly in between.

Don't worry, I'm converted, flip flops will definitely be on my list, thanks for putting me straight xx
  • This youtube video was useful for me https://bit.ly/Youtubehospitalbag
    She inspires me