Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

scarlet fever

just to let any mums know, scarlet fever is going round, my 4 yr old daughter has it and it brings high temp and rash, it started with viral infection, think im starting to get it, is this bad?? im 14 weeks pregnant,thanks, i was too busy worrying about my daughter at the hosp to think about what it may do to me being pregnant, is it dangerous?? please get back to me on this one,cheers x

Replies

• That's awful, my mum had it as a kid. Found this for you on NHS website seems there is no evidence of it causing problems during pregnancy but I'd have a word with the doctor see what they say:
    Scarlet fever is an infection caused by a type of bacteria known as haemolytic streptococci, which belongs to the A streptococcus bacteria group. Scarlet fever usually occurs after a throat or skin infection with streptococcus bacteria, such as strep throat. Scarlet fever is the rash that is a complication of the streptococcus bacteria. Scarlet fever is also known as scarletina, although this term is sometimes used to refer to a mild form of the disease.

It is quite rare in the UK because of the regular use of antibiotics for strep infections. It usually affects children, most commonly between the ages of 4 and 8 years, but people of any age can catch it, although it's very rare in children under 2 years.

Although scarlet fever used to be a very serious disease, most cases today are quite mild. Scarlet fever can be passed on through bacteria in airborne droplets from coughs and sneezes. In some cases it can follow infection from other sites, including wounds and burns.

It takes around 2 - 4 days to develop symptoms after being infected. If you think your child has scarlet fever, it's a good idea to consult your GP.

There is no evidence to suggest that catching scarlet fever when you are pregnant will put your baby at risk.
  • brilliant, thankyou so much, i feel bit dim now, never thought to search net lol thankyou xx
  • hope you & your daughter is feeling better soon! :\)
  • Yes, feel better soon Carlielaine! I'm not on the net tonight to chat but might be tomorrow nite. xc
  • thanks everyone xx