Forum home General Chat General chat
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Silly question

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if you can use fabric conditioner on babies clothes? I've been told to use non-bio and wash them before baby can wear them. Was going to do that today but not sure whether to avoid fabric conditioner. :roll: x

Replies

• mmm, good question! Not sure, I washed my daughters clothes with fabric conditioner when she was a baby and had no probs but not sure if it is recommended or not... sorry not much help!
  • Think the non-bio thing is because of allergies but not sure if this is the same for fabric conditioner. There are just too many things too worry about! image
  • I had the same dillema when I was washing my little ones things for the first time. I was advised to use comfort pure (which I still use) she is 8 weeks old now and no problems yet xx
  • Will you be washing everything you've bought for the baby or just the blankets etc?
  • Was going to wash clothes I've bought. Don't have too many as waiting to see what baby is and what prezzies I get. I've also knitted some things and not sure whether to wash them or not. Probably will, just in case x
  • ive washed everything before the baby uses it, i used Fairy's non-bio and fairy's non-bio fabric softener too, everything smells lovely.
  • Yeah i was going to wash everything too. People have said its a waste of time washing all the babygrows etc as you need to iron them all again. But I think it will be fun so I plan on washing the lot.
    I'm 28 weeks though so a little early, when do you think I should start washing it?
    xx
  • Yeah i was going to wash everything too. People have said its a waste of time washing all the babygrows etc as you need to iron them all again. But I think it will be fun so I plan on washing the lot.
    I'm 28 weeks though so a little early, when do you think I should start washing it?
    xx
  • I am 28 weeks and washed all my baby clothes two weeks ago cause I am so excited :\) I used Comfort Pure softener as I have been told that that one is ok to use
  • I think its just a matter of opinion really, dont believe it really matters. Im on my 5th and have allways washed my babies clothes using the same liqiud and softener that i use for all of the family. If you tend to suffer from allergies then maybe go for a gentle, hypo allergenic washing powder, liquid and fabric conditioner. Happy washing! lol. x
  • I've never used softener on my own clothes, is it necessary to use on baby clothes? i got a whole loads of cast offs from friends, they have already been washed, should i wash them all again just in case? was planning to do it when i start maternity leave, can't wait to see little things on the wash line! lol claire x
  • Hi Claire, i think you would feel happier knowing that you had washed them yourself, i know i would! I sometimes feel the some peoples washing is just not up to scratch!! lol. Maybe its just me, im a bit fussy! lol. x
  • I dont think you need to use Fabric Softner, its really up to you. I dont think I would wash them all again.
    Yeah I was planning on washing it all when I start maternity leave at the end of March.
  • I've been thinking i would wash enough for a couple of weeks, i have so many new baby clothes i've filled two small chest of drawers with them all! there's more in the loft for 6m+!! and i know we are going to be given loads of stuff too...oh well, will make some extra cash on ebay when he grows out of them eh?!
  • Good idea Claire, sell them on and make some money!
  • ive decided your all mad, are you going to iron them aswell:\?
  • I don't know if I will iron them unless they really need done. I like the idea of washing them all but I might leave the ironing to my hubby!!!!!
  • Oh, and by the way THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS A SILLY QUESTION! so i was told anyway by a teacher! btw, i wish ironing had never been invented! luckily my OH doesn't like his clothing ironed, i dont even know where my iron is. might get into it when i have a month off and nothing else to do though!! lol!
  • I washed my baby's clothes in fairy non-bio and used fairy fabric softner, just because it smells nice and makes the clothes feel soooo soft. It is a personal choice, some people do and some don't. And yes I ironed them aswell!!!!
  • Thanks all. I do like ironing Claire, so you can send me yours image Think i'll give them a wash this week cause i've only five weeks to go and if baby comes early . . . x