Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

terrible headaches..any advice?

Hi all..

I'm 12 + 2 and for about the last 4 days I have been getting terrible headaches. I have never been much of a headache sufferer before so i wouldn't say i'm prone to them, my eyesight is fine and i'm drinking plenty so know it can't be dehydration. I thought it may be due to my blood vessells expanding but i don't have a blocked nose..

Just wondered if anyone has any advice or have had similar? Its really getting me down as hurts even to look at the screen and type this! Haven't taken anything as really don't want to..and not sure whats ok.

Also I haven't had my blood pressure checked since becoming pregnant and not sure if i should have (i've had a nightmare with getting to see a midwife and just ended up having my booking in in their office with a student!) so was just wondering if anyone knew if headaches are a sign of high blood pressure as i thought i'd read that somewhere.

Any advice would be much appreciate!! Thank you..Leanne.xx

Replies

• Hello Leanne,

Your hormones are all over the place while settling in to your pregnancy, once your placenta starts helping sort out your hormones you should find that the head aches settle down. What sort of drinks are you having. I live on weak squash or water and avoid anything with caffine. It would be worth making an appointment with your midwife or GP to have your blood pressure checked just to rule that out. If they are an awkward bunch try ringing one of the numbers on the front of your matenity notes, I found this much more helpful with my last pregnancy.

All the best, Denise xxx
  • Thanks denise..i normally just drink water but have started having weak sqaush too occasionally (mainly as in the first three months i liked the taste better if i was feeling abit sick!) and maybe a glass of orange juice. I haven't been having any caffine either as was worried about the missacrriage risk and don't think i'l start now as always used to give me a headache anyway. I think its just my hormones like you say..but i'll try to see a nurse round my heath centre if i can just to get my blood pressure checked (its only round the corner luckily!) Thanks again, Leanne.xx
  • Hi loubeelou!

Im a migraine sufferer, coz i can appriciate how painful it is for you!! My migarines have increased lately i spoke to my midwife about them today, she said if it was in blood pressure then i would get blocked nose, which i havent. She said it could be my blood sugar level dropping, also your body has an increase in Oestrogen, which could cause my migraines and should fade when im about 4months as the levels even themselves out!

Only thing you can take is paracetamol for the pain, i use Tiger Balm as i would prefer not to take tablets. Its very simlar to vicks vapour rub. I just put it on my forehead, temples and back of my neck and i find it really does help. You can buy it from most Chinese herbalists. If your eyes are hurting while looking at comp then i would adjust the brightness.

Hope that helps xx
  • Hi loubeelou!

Im a migraine sufferer, coz i can appriciate how painful it is for you!! My migarines have increased lately i spoke to my midwife about them today, she said if it was in blood pressure then i would get blocked nose, which i havent. She said it could be my blood sugar level dropping, also your body has an increase in Oestrogen, which could cause my migraines and should fade when im about 4months as the levels even themselves out!

Only thing you can take is paracetamol for the pain, i use Tiger Balm as i would prefer not to take tablets. Its very simlar to vicks vapour rub. I just put it on my forehead, temples and back of my neck and i find it really does help. You can buy it from most Chinese herbalists. If your eyes are hurting while looking at comp then i would adjust the brightness.

Hope that helps xx