Forum home Getting pregnant Conception & fertility problems
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Vitamin D and PCOS - now pregnant!

Hi guys, 

Just thought I'd share my experience and see if anyone had a similar experience or if it could help someone!

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 17, didnt have my first period until I was 24 and between then and now (4 years) I had a total of 10 periods!

Me and my partner have been together 5 years and never used any contraception. We took the view that it would never happen naturally and if it did it would be a miracle so why prevent it. 

Anyway a year and a half ago we started the process of getting fertility treatment but for one reason or another, it kept getting put on hold and we felt like we were never going to get there. I started to do some research into natural supplements I could take and came across alot of research and information into vitamin D and fertility. After alot of reading I thought, what harm could it do? And ordered myself a high dosage of vitamin D, 4000 units, and started taking them daily.

Lo and behold, 3 months later, I fell pregnant naturally!! This could be a complete coincidence but with how irregular I was I really feel it played a part. I really urge everyone to have a read up and maybe give it a try!

Anyone with any similar stories or experiences? 

Replies

• Charchar27 - I was diagnosed with PCOS last week so to hear this is a relief! We are now going through the referral stage so I have to have 21 day bloods etc. I have actually just purchased some Vitamin D and Folic Acid. The vitamin D is only 10ug though. Shall I take more? Xxx

• Hey!

I'm not exactly sure what dosage you're meant to take, I just ordered the highest possible, I just thought you can't OD on vitamins so why not 😂

Please keep me updated on how it all goes I'm so curious to know whether anyone else has had the vitamin D miracle!!!

Xx

• Please don't think you can't overdose on vitamins. Too much vitamin D can cause a high build up of  calcium in your blood and in some cases kidney stones.

Latest Government guidelines from Public Health England suggest 10 micrograms (400 iu) of Vitamin D for adults and children aged 12+ months

Always stick to guidelines and consult your doctor/pharmacist if any queries

• Thank you for the advice. 

I had spoken to my neurologist  (I have Ms, which also ties in closely with a vitamin D deficiency) and he told me it was perfectly fine to take the dosage I was taking. 

• Char I will defo keep you updated :) I know there were 2 doses in Holland and barret and I went with the lower dose for now xxx